For many years, the Village of St. George depended on their basic fire fighting equipment and the courage of a small force of volunteers. In about 1910, the B. Bell Manufacturing Company in St. George provided the village force with a fire apparatus called a “goose neck” to help fight fires. This engine consisted of a watertight box and a set of brakes. Water was carried in buckets and poured into the box from which the water could be ejected through an iron pipe fashioned in the shape of a goose's neck. No hose was used on this curious mechanism; the operator stood on top and held this device. To change the direction of the stream it was necessary to move the engine.
The engine was equipped with a small bell that was used to warn the village during a fire. The old goose neck, as it was called, ceased to be used by the village in 1912 when the village fathers purchased a gasoline fire engine from the Waterous Engine Works in Brantford. Under the direction of two mechanical experts from the Waterous Manufacturing Company, the engine was given a test and proved that with a sufficient supply of water, it was capable of throwing a stream of water over the highest building in the village.
The same year, the construction of a Fire Hall began, and the St. George Fire Department was officially formed.
In 1923, the village decided to acquire a motorized fire truck. It arrived in St. George on September 19, 1923. The following day, a Civic Holiday was held in St. George, and firemen gave a demonstration of the new fire truck using both chemicals and water.
Fire Trucks at St. George Fire Station Details
Parade of the 1927 Chevy Fire Truck Details