Throughout the history of Port Colborne lightkeepers, there have been 10 lightkeepers in total.
The lightkeepers in chronological order were Thomas McChesney, Edward Cochrane, James Fortier, David Fortier, Hugh Clark Jr., George Irwin, Jason Sherk, Al Kendrick, Jack Bonisteel, and Ted Zack. When the lights were automated, the lighthouse keeper position at Port Colborne was eliminated.
David Fortier was the only lightkeeper to tend three different main lighthouses during his career: the 1879 lighthouse, the 1890 lighthouse, and the 1903 lighthouse.
In 1851, the government built a house for the lightkeepers, located at 25 King Street. Lightkeepers lived in this house at the edge of the village until the 1903 lighthouse on the west breakwater was built. The location of the new lighthouse required them to live in the lighthouse on the breakwater. The original 1851 house was torn down in the 1930s.
Inner Lighthouse on West Breakwater with advanced living quarters Details
In 1943, a new house was built at the inner lighthouse, replacing the cramped living quarters there. The two-story dwelling was much more comfortable for the lightkeeper and his family living on the west breakwater.