Lakes and Islands, Times Past

What's New

  • Ballantyne's School SS#3 South Elmsley about 1895
        Ballantyne's School SS#3 South Elmsley around 1895. The school was built in 1860 by William Ballantyne.
      Ballantyne's School SS#3 South Elmsley around 1895. The school was built in ...
  • Otter Creek Cheese factory after 1940
        The earlier Otter Creek cheese factory burned in 1940 and was replaced by this building which functioned until 1955. It then became a private home and burned around 1970.
      The earlier Otter Creek cheese factory burned in 1940 and was replaced ...
  • Nina Churchill and her class in 1953 at Dancy School SS#10 Elgin
        Nina Churchill with her class at the Dancy School SS#10 in South Crosby Rear L to R: Bruce Bishop, Mike Carty, Joe Carty, John Perrin, Beatrice Bryan, Bob Martin, teacher Nina Churchill Front L to R Jerry Perrin, Bruce Churchill, Joe Blackman, Gary Baxter, Nancy White , Gail Martin, Carol ...
      Nina Churchill with her class at the Dancy School SS#10 in South ...
  • Leggett family reunion at Clear Lake 1891
        Leggett family reunion 1891 at the farm of William Leggett and Elizabeth Sly Leggett. Names are as follows :Back row L to R : Jack Leggett, wife Hannah Green; Robert Only Leggett, wife Ida Pinkerton, Robert George Leggett, wife Ida Chamberlin 2d fow from back L to R: Thomas Henderson ...
      Leggett family reunion 1891 at the farm of William Leggett and Elizabeth ...
  • Ormond Wright family c.1910 in house owned by the Covells
        Ormond Wright family in front of the house owned by the Covell family c.1910. This house operated for many years as the Anglican Rectory in South Elmsley. It was sold by the church in 1961.
      Ormond Wright family in front of the house owned by the Covell ...
  • Holy Trinity Anglican Church in South Elmsley c.1950
        The Holy Trinity Anglican church dates from c.1890 although an earlier Anglican church was located in the immediate vicinity.
      The Holy Trinity Anglican church dates from c.1890 although an earlier Anglican ...
  • South Elmsley Hotel c.1900
        The South Elmsley Hotel was located where the present day Ferry Road meets Highway 15. It was operated by John Looby and later by William Brown, Christopher Smith, his widow and finally by Henry Tetlock.
      The South Elmsley Hotel was located where the present day Ferry Road ...
  • Women's Institute Hall in Lombardy
        The Lombardy Women's Institute Hall was originally the Holiness Movement church built in 1896. It was taken over by the Women's Institute in 1949 when the congregation dissolved.
      The Lombardy Women's Institute Hall was originally the Holiness Movement church built ...
  • Rideau Ferry regatta in 1948
        The Rideau Ferry Regatta was established in 1897 after the growth of cottages and tourism in the area. This photo shows people lined up along the bridge watching the 1948 regatta,
      The Rideau Ferry Regatta was established in 1897 after the growth of ...
  • Aerial view of Rideau Ferry c.1970
        Rideau Ferry from the north side after the bridge was built in 1961. Cottages and boathouse on the southeast side are gone.
      Rideau Ferry from the north side after the bridge was built in ...
  • Rideau Ferry ( Oliver's Ferry) c.1895
        This photo was taken in the late mid to late 1890s of Rideau Ferry when it was still Oliver's Ferry. The photo can be dated after 1895 after the building of the bridge which lasted until 1961.Photo is taken from southeast side.
      This photo was taken in the late mid to late 1890s of ...
  • Albert E. Wood c.1905
        Picture of Albert E. Wood c.1904. Albert (1884-1972) was the municipal clerk of South Elmsley from 1920-1937.
      Picture of Albert E. Wood c.1904. Albert (1884-1972) was the municipal clerk ...
  • Lombardy Public School SS#6 about 1908
        Maud Poppelwell and her class at Lombardy Public School SS#6 Names include Front LR Leonard Hughes, Tommy Healey, Jim Thomas, ? , Albyn Cauley 2d row L to R Mary Allen, Evelyn Bass, Margaret Healey, Evelina Thomas, Margaret Houze, Agnes Dootier, Edna Houze 3d row: Lto R George Moorehouse, Tom ...
      Maud Poppelwell and her class at Lombardy Public School SS#6 Names include ...
  • Iola (boat) in 1904
        Iola was a steampowered boat later changed to gasoline. This photo was taken in Petty's Bay Upper Rideau Lake in 1904.
      Iola was a steampowered boat later changed to gasoline. This photo was ...
  • Poonamalie School c.1965
        The Poonamalie School was not heavily attended and closed in 1955. The building has since been torn down.
      The Poonamalie School was not heavily attended and closed in 1955. The ...
  • Blanchard's Hill School
        Blanchard's Hill School shared with Kitley. Picture taken about 1905 with teacher Annie Dunn.3rd from left Gould, Martin, M. Blanchard, Blanchard, Jordan 8th from right: Jordon, Myrtle Blanchard , Frayne Taylor (Identified by Manford Blanchard)
      Blanchard's Hill School shared with Kitley. Picture taken about 1905 with teacher ...
  • Horses laying down rail for C.N.R. in 1912 at Lombardy Station
        Laying down track near Lombardy Station for the C.N.R. line in 1912. The crew consists of both locals and immigrants.
      Laying down track near Lombardy Station for the C.N.R. line in 1912. ...
  • Otter Creek cheese factory fire c.1970
        Fire at Otter Lake Cheese Factory, which closed in 1955, became a private home and burned in 1970
      Fire at Otter Lake Cheese Factory, which closed in 1955, became a ...
  • Lewis Cottage on Petty's Bay Big Rideau
        Sam Lewis' cottage on Petty's Bay Big Rideau Lake c.1910. Note the tent beside this early cottage.
      Sam Lewis' cottage on Petty's Bay Big Rideau Lake c.1910. Note the ...
  • Day's catch on Big Rideau c.1900
        Grampa Lewis, Sam Lewis and Jim McCreary with a day's catch c.1900
      Grampa Lewis, Sam Lewis and Jim McCreary with a day's catch c.1900
See more results
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit