The Ice-breaker James Whalen (~1922)


Description
Media Type:
Image
Item Type:
Photographs
Description:
Three people stand aboard the James Whalen as it cuts through the ice in Thunder Bay harbour. The ice-breaking tug James Whalen was built in 1905. It was designed to be tough enough to tow heavy steamers, and to cut through ice up to 20 inches thick. The tugboat served Thunder Bay for fifty years, until, in 1965 it was sent to Hamilton, Ontario. In 1977, it was destined to be scrapped, but was rescued. In 1992, the tugboat was purchased by Tourism Thunder Bay and returned to this area. The James Whalen underwent several years of renovations and is now moored at the Kam River Heritage Park, located by the Thunder Bay Historical Museum in Thunder Bay, Ontario.

TBPL Photograph is in Special Collections book ' Early High School days in Port Arthur' by May Buriss. A copy of this book may be viewed at the Brodie Resource Library.
Date of Original:
circa 1922
Subject(s):
Language of Item:
English
Geographic Coverage:
  • Ontario, Canada
    Latitude: 48.4001 Longitude: -89.31683
Copyright Statement:
Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Contact:
Thunder Bay Public Library
Email:
WWW address:
Agency street/mail address:
Brodie Resource Library 216 South Brodie Street Thunder Bay, ON P7E 1C2
The Ice-breaker James Whalen (~1922)
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit