Born 1884, Died 1939
Married: Margaret McDougall
Roy, born in Elmira in 1884, was the youngest son of David Bean Sr. The family moved to Waterloo in 1886 and when Roy came of age, he worked for his father in the Waterloo Chronicle newspaper office. He married Margaret McDougall, a daughter of William McDougall who was a salesman for the Waterloo Manufacturing Company. When his father died in 1921, he and brother Clive took over operation of the newspaper business. A few years later, he became the sole owner of the enterprise. He was a member of the Methodist Church (United Church after 1925) and was faithful in attending the Mason fraternal organization. He also delighted in relaxing on the golf course. When he died in 1939, his obituary defined his dominant qualities as those of “honesty, integrity and thrift.”
1. Obituary. Waterloo Chronicle, August 11, 1939.
2. Marg Rowell, Ed Devitt and Pat McKegney. Welcome to Waterloo.
- Little, Ellis, Author
- Media Type
- Item Type
- This is a handwritten biography of Roy Bean. from the Ellis Little Papers. This biography has been transcribed exactly as written. Ellis Little was a local historian, who was the principal of Elizabeth Ziegler Public School. On his retirement, he invested much of his time in researching and writing about Waterloo's history. The Ellis Little Papers consist of extensive notes, papers and historical works.
- Please scroll to the bottom of the page to see the transcribed text. To see the original document, please visit the Ellis Little Local History Room at the Main Branch of the Waterloo Public Library.
- Date Of Event
- Personal Name(s)
- Bean, Roy ; McDougall, Margaret ; McDougall, William ; Bean, David ; Bean, Clive
- Local identifier
- ELP 51.12 and ELP 63.41.9
- Ellis Little Papers: Men and Women of Our Past
- Language of Item
- Copyright Statement
- Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and for any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Location of Original
- Ellis Little Papers
- Waterloo Public LibraryEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Agency street/mail address:
35 Albert Street, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, N2L 5E2
- Full Text
Born 1884, Died 1939