Married- Bertha Hayes
Edgar Bauer was the eldest son of Aloyes Bauer. When he became of age he worked in the family business of A. Bauer and Co. commonly called the Shoddy Factory. Eventually he became manager and then was president of Bauer Industries for 42 years. Bauer is credited with keeping the factory production up to date. As car manufacturing increased he was influential in getting new contracts in that area. In later years Bauer's pioneered in the manufacture of sound-proof materials for automobiles. Edgar was well known for his generous support in community work, for serving on the Separate School Board, as well as being a member of Waterloo Town Council. In 1957 Pope Pius XII made him a Knight Commander of St Sylvester. He had the distinct honour of being the first Roman Catholic in Waterloo to have a school, Sir Edgar Bauer Seperate School (1970), named after him.
1. Funeral, Waterloo Chronicle, November 25, 1959
2. Kitchener Waterloo Record, June 6 1972, July 2, 1988
3. Daily Telegraph, Waterloo County Outlook Edition, August 1914
4. Waterloo Chronicle, Mar 12, 1970 (School)
- Little, Ellis, Author
- Media Type
- Item Type
- This is a handwritten biography of Edgar Bauer from the Ellis Little Papers. This biography has been transcribed exactly as written. Ellis Little was a local historian, who was the principal of Elizabeth Ziegler Public School. On his retirement, he invested much of his time in researching and writing about Waterloo's history. The Ellis Little Papers consist of extensive notes, papers and historical works.
- Please scroll to the bottom of the page to see the transcribed text. To see the original document, please visit the Ellis Little Local History Room at the Main Branch of the Waterloo Public Library.
- Date Of Event
- Personal Name(s)
- Bauer, Edgar ; Hayes, Bertha ; Bauer, Bertha ; Bauer, Aloyes
- Corporate Name(s)
- Bauer Industries Limited
- Local identifier
- ELP 51.6
- Ellis Little Papers: Men and Women of Our Past
- Language of Item
- Copyright Statement
- Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and for any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Location of Original
- Ellis Little Papers
- Waterloo Public LibraryEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Agency street/mail address:
35 Albert Street, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, N2L 5E2
- Full Text