Pumping Station at Waterworks Park in Detroit
- Milton W. Reesor, Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Type
- This is an image of the pumping station at the Water Works Park in Detroit. A horse pulling a barrel can be seen in front of the right corner of the building.
The Water Works Park, later known as Gladwin Park, opened in the late 1800s as the site for a new waterworks system plant. In addition, the land purchased functioned as a public park with various activities and attractions. The land for the waterworks system was purchased due to the needs of a growing city, and the pumping station and standpipe tower that rose 185-feet were fully operational by 1879. The standpipe spire was a glorified water tower that helped provide water pressure, but its use a pressure equalizer stopped in 1895 as pumps could control water pressure themselves. In 1961, the old Pumping Station No. 1 was put out of commission.
This photo belongs to the Reesor Collection, which is a group of photos taken by Milton W. Reesor, a local amateur photographer. He took many photos of friends, family, animals, outdoor activities, machinery, the railway, and more in and around St. Marys from 1898-1910.
- "PUMPING STATION AT WATERWORKS PARK. DETROIT."
- Local identifier
- Reesor Collection
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Michigan, United States
Latitude: 42.360387769405 Longitude: -82.9786636048889
- Dan O’Toole
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Reesor Collection. "Pumping Station at Waterworks Park in Detroit." St. Marys Museum, reesor235.
- Location of Original
- St. Marys Museum Archives
- Reproduction of digital objects is restricted to fair use for personal study or research; any other use must be done with permission of copyright holder.
- Reproduction Notes
- This image is a watermarked low resolution reproduction.
High resolution images are available at the St. Marys Museum for a fee.
- St. Marys MuseumEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Agency street/mail address:
177 Church Street South,
P.O. Box 998,
St. Marys, Ontario.