Unveiling of Royal Sappers and Miners Cemetary
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Taken from back of photo: "On Saturday, May 21, 1977, an historical plaque commemorating "The Royal Sappers and Miners", who served in the building of the Rideau Canal, was unveiled near St. Mary's Cemetary, Newboro, Ontario. This plaque was erected by the Ontario Heritage Foundation, an agency within the Ministry of Culture and Recreation.
Shown from left to right following the unveiling ceremony are: Mr. Robert Day, Interpretation Officer, Rideau Canal; Mr. Ken Rasmussen, Reeve, Village of Newboro; Mr. Fred Fleming, a descendant of Private William Fleming, 7th Company, Royal Sappers and Miners; Mr. Charles Bradley, Warden, United Counties of Leeds and Grenville; Mr. Tom Cossitt, M.P. (Leeds); Miss Adelaide Fleming, a descendant of Private William Fleming; Mrs. Margaret Roberts, President. Rideau District Historical Society; the Reverend Dr. Gordon Smyth, representative of the Ontario Heritage Foundation; the Hon. James A.C. Auld, M.P.P. (Leeds); and the Reverend Bernard Heywood of Newboro.
- (Condition: Good.)
- Date of Original
- 21 May 1977
- Local identifier
- [Internal Record Number: OS0028]
- Language of Item
- Township of Rideau Lakes
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Private, non-commercial use
- Rideau Lakes Public LibraryEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Agency street/mail address:P.O. Box 189
26 Halladay St.