- Sinclair, P.L.S. Road Lots in 1863, Cartographer
- J.W. Fitzgerald P.L.S. Residue Township in 1885, Cartographer
- Media Type
- Item Type
- An early surveyors map for Clara Township, Renfrew County. The map was issued in 1888 by the Department of Crown Lands.
- The Map came from Andre Boissonneault, a contractor. The map is hand written on an oil cloth, and covers a total area of 63922 (unit of measure unknown).
Early surveyors, like William E. Logan, used Rochon micrometer telescopes and targets (disk on a calibrated pole) to measure distance. Each microscope had a different calibration and therefore a different range. The instruments were calibrated against a distance measured with a surveyors chain (also known as Gunter’s chain). One chain had 100 links and was 66 feet (about 20 meters) or 22 yards long.
William E. Logan (2007). 1845 Survey of the Upper Ottawa Valley. Mercury Series History Paper 54. Charles H. Smith and Ian Dyck (eds.). Gatineau, Quebec: Canadian Museum of Civilization Corporation.
surveyor’s chain. (2010). In Encyclopædia Britannica. Retrieved April 14, 2010, from Encyclopædia Britannica Online: http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/575448/surveyors-chain
- Department of Crown Lands
- Date of Original
- July 1, 1888
Width: 56 cm
Height: 80 cm
- Map Scale:
- 40 chains to an inch
- Boissonneault Collection
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 46.20012 Longitude: -78.31624
- Andy Boissonneault
- Creative Commons licence
- [more details]
- Copyright Statement
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
- Copyright Holder Contact Information
- Head, Clara and Maria Public Library
Address: 15 Township Hall Rd. Stonecliffe, Ontario K0J 2K0
- Head, Clara and Maria Public LibraryEmail:email@example.com