Chamberlain Ledger Book, 1872-1873
- Chamberlain, Aaron H., Author
- Media Type
- Item Types
- Ledger Book
- This item is a ledger book that belonged to Dr. Aaron H. Chamberlain (b. 7th October, 1829, d. 11th November, 1916). As a doctor and physician, he practiced his job out of his home, west of Kelvin, Ontario. Encased in a green cover, this ledger was used to keep record of his patients, some of his daily activities and the financial transactions he engaged in between May 1872 and November 1873. For example, on 15th August 1872, Dr. Chamberlain recorded a transaction of $1.00 from Mr. Allen Matthew while visiting his child, while on September 5th 1873, he recorded medicine purchased at .50 cents from Mrs. Mary Beckham for herself. Most transactions recorded are between 50 cents and several dollars in value, which is noted to total $516 in the beginning of the text. Chamberlain also noted on this same page that his office hours ranged from 4 AM to 10 PM. On page 4 is a list of 26 names, presumably some of Dr. Chamberlain's regular patients during the time recorded in this ledger.
- Dr. Aaron Chamberlain was born in East Oakland, in Brant County, Ontario to Joel and Elvira Main Chamberlain in 1829. Aaron attended the Michigan Medical College at the University of Michigan between 1864 and 1865, and the Victoria Royal Medical School in 1867. He would marry Melinda Clark Chamberlain on 10th November, 1869, the same year he obtained his medical licence in Ontario. Over the next forty years Chamberlain practiced allopathic medicine in his home, as well as visiting patients. Aaron Chamberlain died in Kelvin, Ontario on 11th November, 1916. He was the father of Charles Hedgers Chamberlain.
- Date of Original
- Personal Name(s)
- Chamberlain, Aaron H.
- Local identifier
- Brant Museum and Archives Collection
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.0834 Longitude: -80.49968
Latitude: 43.0168 Longitude: -80.36637
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Chamberlain, Dr. Aaron H. "Chamberlain Ledger Book, 1872-1873." Brant Museum and Archives Collection. Item No. 2000.6.1.002.
- Brant Museum and Archives CollectionEmail:email@example.com
Agency street/mail address:57 Charlotte St.
Brantford, ON N3T 2W6