- Media Type
- Item Type
The Scotland United Church, located at 10 Church St W, Scotland, was built circa 1850. It was originally known as the Congregational Church and began with the congregation meeting at the local school house in 1835. The Congregational Church was founded by Reverend James Nall. The white frame building was erected in 1847 and was completed under the direction of Reverend William Hay. The first service happened in 1849 and many celebrated the official place of worship. Many upgrades and additions have taken place throughout the years. To this day, the large Gothic style structure is hard to miss with its tall spire.1
1835 - Founded as a Congregational Church by the Reverend James Nall who also founded the Congregational Church in Burford1
Originally the congregation met in the school house behind Lyman’s store and in the “black door” school at Oakland
c.1847 - Frame was erected1
Roofed and closed in by a work “bee” in 1847. Completed for use in 1848
1848 - After many delays in the building of the church, it was completed when skilled craftsman were available to do the final work1
They wanted pure Gothic windows and waited for a long time for them to come from the USA.
1849 - First church service1
c.1859 – Tower was added later1
Probably 1859 as that appears to be when the bell was dedicated. The bell rung three times a day (morning, noon and night). Judge W.S Walker was the first official bell ringer of the church and earned 24 dollars a year.
1863 – Second hand organ installed in the Gallery1
1871 – Church was renovated and new seating was added1
Choir space was added. Work was completed in September.
1871 – Church was re-papered and redecorated by Mr. Noble1
1895 – Furnace was installed with funds raised by the Christian Endeavor Society1
1905 – Furnace basement made1
???? - Scotland United Church took a strike in its steeple1
The shock waves rang the bell which alerted the Scotland residents of the fire and were able to extinguish it before any real damage happened.
1915 – Windows were re-frosted and woodwork regrained1
The ceiling is mentioned as “metallic” work including papering and outside painting done by Noble & Son. Tower found unsafe and was repaired by Ripley & Son.
1916 – New Reed organ installed in choir1
1916 - Basement under church with plastered walls1
1926 – Hydro installed1
1927 – Church was re-seated1
1952 - Large drive shed in the back of church burned to the ground1
This gave way for the present hall to be built in 1954.
1954 - Church hall added1
1967 - Neutel organ installed1
1966 - Steeple lighted1
1967 - Church proper carpeted and redecorated1
1972 - Scotland Church furnace replaced; grounds and parsonage cleaned up and new roof on garage1
1973 - Scotland hall drapes replaced1
1985 – 150th anniversary1
Class rooms, washrooms, office and side entrance lobby area added. Basement area under church proper refurbished
1996 – New sound system1
1997 - Decorated and new carpetry in church proper including galley and new lighting set up as well1
Summary of Inhabitants
Reverend William Hays
He was ordained in January 18, 1848 in Scotland. He saw the completion of the Scotland Church building. He spent his entire ministry in the Scotland and Burford Congregational Church, serving a total of 47 years until 1894.1
This Gothic style church was built in 1850. It is a white clapboard building. The church has a single, centre spire which was added circa 1859. It has two 14-grid Y-tracery lancet windows at the front. The windows were special ordered from the USA and took a long time to come to Scotland, Ontario. After many delays, the church was finally completed in 1848.The front has a double door with 8 panels on either side with a lancet arch above it. It has three shuttered blind windows on the tower. The left side has three large Y-tracery lancet windows. The back has a small lancet window. The right side has three large Y-tracery lancet windows equal to its left side. The addition to the church is also white clapboard and features a plain non-windowed door with an arched transom. The windows are two over two sash windows with mullions. Each panel has 8 grids.
- Hunter, Margaret. Personal Interview, July 2017.
- Hunter, Margaret. Personal Interview, July 2017.
- Date of Original
- Personal Name(s)
- Hays, William
- Local identifier
- Historic Buildings of the County of Brant
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.0168 Longitude: -80.36637
- Copyright Statement
- Protected by copyright: Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and for any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Date
- Copyright Holder
- County of Brant Public Library
- Copyright Holder Contact Information
- 12 William Street, Paris, Ontario
- Recommended Citation
- Scotland United Church, 2017. County of Brant Public Library. Item No. 2017CB008.
- For Research Purposes Only.
- County of Brant Public LibraryEmail:email@example.com
Agency street/mail address:County of Brant Public Library (Paris Branch)
12 William Street
N3L 1K7 | @brantlibrary