Myrtle Elvira French
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Black and white photograph of Myrtle French wearing a Second World War Canadian Women's Army Corps cap and uniform. There are two chevrons on her greatcoat sleeve, indicating she was a Corporal. She is standing outdoors on grass with some bushes in the background, holding a small bag under her right arm, and a suitcase in front of her with both hands.
- Myrtle Elvira French was born in Burford, Ontario on August 20, 1924. She was the eldest of four daughters of Gilbert Bulyea and Vera Lamoyne (Pichea) French, with seven brothers.
Myrtle enlisted in the Canadian Women's Army Corps (CWAC) on 2 November 1943, and completed her Non-Commissioned Officer School First Course #1 at the CWAC Advanced Training Centre at Ste Anne De Bellevue, Quebec in June 1944. This involved some military and trades training, which Myrtle focused on stenography (transcribing in shorthand). She was stationed at the CAE Training Centre North Bay, Ontario in the Clerk Department as a Sergeant. Myrtle continued to serve in the military after the Second World War until 29 May 1946. Afterwards, she used her stenographer skills and worked as a secretary at a Brantford magazine company.
On 20 July 1957, she married Ross Webster Jordan (born 27 March 1917, died 12 January 2001) and they moved and spent the rest of their lives in Peterborough, Ontario. Their sons are Robert (born 1 December 1965), and Michael (born 14 July 1967). Myrtle passed away on November 12, 1984.
Myrtle Elvira French
daughter of Gilbert + Vera
b. August 20, 1924
d. November 12, 1984
Myrtle Married Ross Webster
Jordan July 20, 1957. They
lived in Peterborough, Ont. and
had 2 sons, Robert + Michael.
- Date Of Event
- Local identifier
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.0834 Longitude: -80.49968
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Myrtle Elvira French, c.1943. Burford Township Historical Society and Museum, Photograph No. 2000.027.002.
- The information and images provided are for personal research only and are not to be used for commercial purposes. Use of this information should include the credit "Burford Township Historical Society and Museum."
- Burford Township Historical SocietyEmail:email@example.com
Agency street/mail address:
141 Harley Road, Harley, ON N0E 1E0