- Media Type
- Item Type
The Davis Farm, located in Burford Township, was first purchased in 1797 by Andrew Meyers. Although it is not certain, it is presumed that Mr. Meyers built the home that stands on the property today sometime during his residency. Ownership eventually passed to Joseph Smith, who owned most of the land surrounding the property by 1858. The Smith’s continued to reside on the farm until 1883, after which the house passed through the hands of various families.2 The redbrick home has multiple attached back units and it is rumored that at one time a bakery operated from here.1 Unique to the home is a Chinese influenced verandah with a pediment over the main entranceway. Because of the homes position to the lake, the farm used to be known by others as Lakeview.2
1797 – A Parcel of 200 Acres of Lots 1 and 2, Concession 5 in Oakland Township was Purchased from the Crown by Mr. Andrew Meyers2
The area was known as Townshend Gore at the time. It is believed that Mr. Meyers built the home in the years following.
???? – Edward Tyler Purchased the Home and was Acting for the Estate of a Major General Pilington2
1844 – Joseph Smith Purchased the Home from Mr. Tyler2
1861 – Margaret Smith Inherited the Home After the Passing of Joseph Smith2
Margaret resided at the home with her brother Thomas Smith and other members of the family.
1883 – Margaret, Thomas, and Son Joseph H. Smith Sold the Property to Jacob Mott2
1916 – The Home was Signed off to Charles W. Mott2
At the time there were five buildings and a large cattle herd that starved later that winter. In 1922 Charles Mott married his housekeeper and the two lived at the home together.
1927 – After Taking out Multiple Mortgages on the Home, Charles Lost the Farm2
The Toronto General Trusts Corporation received the home out of foreclosure and resold it to Frank and Alice Davis.
1949 – The Home was Purchased by Cecil and Ariel Davis from Frank and Alice
Summary of Inhabitants
Joseph H. Smith
Joseph H. Smith, born in 1850, was the son of Joseph and Margaret Smith and grew up on the Davis farm. In 1873 he married Cornelia Elliot and had three children. By 1883 he owned a 50 acre farm in the Fairfield Plains area that was prosperous with high cultivation.3
The Davis Farm house features a single rectangular redbrick unit and multiple back additions that are made of plaster and horizontally panelled wood siding. The home is one and a half storeys with a symmetrical layout and center gable. On the main façade, there are four bay windows on the main floor and one main window on the second floor. The bay windows are flat structured with plain trim and are multi-paned. The second floor window features a half-round covered transom with an arch radiating voussoir and keystone. The window has multi-paned flush light side panels, matching those on the front door, and also has an awning. The windows on the sides of the home have flat voussoirs with keystones, and quoins are visible on the corners of the building. The main center door has a flat structure and multi-paned flush light transom with a middle sash and matching side panels. The surround head has a plain pediment supported by square columns. Also on the façade is a rare Chinese influenced verandah with a hipped roof and center pediment.1 It is believed that the verandah is the same as the one originally found in Burford Village on 110 King Street.4 Aside from the pediment, the verandah is supported by decorative wooden tracery. The gables on the home have overhanging eaves with return, and the brickwork is Flemish bond with stone foundation. There is an original redbrick chimney placed in the center and side left, and a newer, joined chimney on the right side, slightly off center.
The Farm also has a barn that is presumed to have been built sometime in the early 1800s. Inside the barn are the original trees that are used as support beams in the ceiling.
- Davis, Larry. Personal Interview, July 2016
- Gould Davis, Margaret. Letter to Cecil and Ariel Davis, April 3, 1980.
- Warner, Beers & Co. The History of the County of Brant, Ontario, 1883.
- Heritage Committee for the County of Brant. Brant Heritage Inventory, 2016.
- Davis, Larry. (July 2016). Personal Interview.
- Gould Davis, Margaret. Letter to Cecil and Ariel Davis, April 3, 1980. Provided by the owners of the home.
- Heritage Committee for the County of Brant.(2016). Brant Heritage Inventory.
- Warner, Beers & Co. (1883). The History of the County of Brant, Ontario. Toronto: Warner, Beers & Co..
- Date of Publication
- Local identifier
- Historic Buildings of the County of Brant
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.0834 Longitude: -80.49968
- Creative Commons licence
- [more details]
- Copyright Statement
- Protected by copyright: Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and for any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Date
- Copyright Holder
- County of Brant Public Library
- Recommended Citation
- Davis Farm, 2016. County of Brant Public Library. Item No. 2016CB006.
- For research purposes only.
- County of Brant Public LibraryEmail:email@example.com
Agency street/mail address:County of Brant Public Library (Paris Branch)
12 William Street
N3L 1K7 | @brantlibrary