Ajax Public Library Digital Archive
Ajax Veterans Street Dedication: Iles Street
Comments (0)
Be the first to comment on this record.
Add your own comment.
Is it OK to make your name public?
Is it OK to make your comment public?
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.


Ajax Veterans Street Dedication: Iles Street

Street Name: Iles Street Name of Veteran: Arthur Frederick Iles Dec. 11, 1921-Sept. 18, 1991 Rank: Boy 2nd Class, Seaman, Petty Officer, Gunner Ship Served: HMS Ajax Date of Service on Ship: 1939 Year of Visit/Dedication September 26, 2009 Veteran or Family Visit Son David Iles and daughter-in-law Anne Veteran of the Battle of the River Plate: Yes Died at Battle: No Arthur Frederick Iles was born in London on December 11, 1921. He was a factory worker before joining the Royal Navy for ‘Boys Service’ on February 17, 1938 at age 16. He signed up for full time service on December 11, 1938 for an initial period of 12 years. Arthur’s first posting was to HMS Ajax which was based at the Falkland Islands and was on patrol off the coast of South America at the start of World War Two. On September 4, 1939, the Ajax intercepted German merchant ships Karl Fritzen and Olinda and on September 5 Ussukma. On December 13 the Ajax was one of three cruisers that engaged the German ‘pocket battleship’ Admiral Graf Spee. The famous Battle of the River Plate earned its place in history as the first Allied Naval victory of World War Two. Arthur also saw action on Russian and Atlantic convoys and in the Mediterranean during World War Two. He completed his full time service but stayed on for an additional ten years at Portsmouth. His service included that of Careers and Cadet Training Officer and by 1956 he was Lieutenant Commander. Due to ill health Arthur moved to the Spanish island of Majorca with his second wife in 1976. He passed away on September 18, 1991 but is survived by his first wife and their children, two daughters and three sons.