2401-3-5 Ontario Street, Oakville, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1971
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Parks Canada noted only that the house had been built in about 1845.
Click on "Pages" "Select" to view 5 of the 6 photographs taken by Parks Canada.
This is Glendella House, built in 1845. It is Designated under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act.
Original property owners were the Belyea family. They sold to the Thompson's sometime before 1850. Thompson's Inn was managed by the Thompson family until 1887 when Edward Thompson sold the inn to Richard Benjamin Joyce who changed the name to Glendella. Halton Images, linked in this record, has a number of photographs of Glendella House aka Cottage as well as a short history.
The house has been restored and renovated according to heritage principles and there are many real estate listing photos of it on the internet.
- In 1971-1972, Parks Canada photographed those buildings that were 100 or more years old. This Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings was a Centennial Project.
The Trafalgar Township Historical Society has worked with Parks Canada and Library and Archives Canada to find these photographs in the area of Trafalgar Township and the city of Oakville, Ontario. The collection will grow as we have time to collect and prepare the images.
The TTHS is also sending the images to the Town of Oakville Heritage Planners to increase local availability and to ensure local preservation.
Each TTHS internet record will show the back of the identifying information card first. This is to prevent any errors in reading the handwritten address held up on a clipboard for each address - we have noted that sometimes the address number is illegible or incorrect.
At the top of each TTHS record, you will find "pages" to click on to view the various photographs.
All TTHS records in this collection can be found in one step by clicking on the "Groups" link on the right of your screen, "Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972. Trafalgar Township & Oakville."
- Coding on the front of the card: 06177003102401. Province is 06, Negative is 002y10. NPC 464(9-701)7530-21-029-3938.
On the blue card back with ownership information, the code is repeated: 06177003102401.
- Date Of Event
- December 13, 1971
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.3942164768917 Longitude: -79.7076940158081
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- 2401-3-5 Ontario Street, Oakville, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1971
- Acknowledgement to the work of Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972, Trafalgar Township and Oakville, and of the Trafalgar Township Historical Society is required.
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:email@example.com
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton