280 Lawson Street, Oakville, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1972
- Media Type
- Item Type
- 280 Lawson Street is part of the "Old Oakville" Town of Oakville Register of Designated Properties...Trafalgar Road Heritage Conservation District.
The legal description of the house location is: PT PPK K, PL 1 , PART 1 , 20R9043 ; T/W 709070.
The 2 storey brick and frame house with Classical Revival detailing, gable roof, eave returns, brick voussoirs, stone sills, neoclassical door surround. was built by Samuel Lawson ca1837, according to the above Heritage Property description.
At the time of photographing, Parks Canada noted that the present owner was Mrs. Ishbel Winnet, the original owner had been Mr. Samuel Lawson and that the house had been built in 1837.
A search of the internet actually will provide you with better views of the house. It is overgrown with shrubs in these Parks Canada photos.
The house has an interesting history. The bricks are hand-made. The house faced Trafalgar Road and was surrounded by an apple orchard.
Mr. Lawson never did pay William Chisholm for the land. His last descendent willed the property to a grandson of Mr. Chisholm. The house was vacant for a number of years and new owners rebuilt using the remaining brick shell. The house was rebuilt to face Lawson Street on the north side of the property.
- In 1971-1972, Parks Canada photographed those buildings that were 100 or more years old. This Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings was a Centennial Project.
The Trafalgar Township Historical Society has worked with Parks Canada and Library and Archives Canada to find these photographs in the area of Trafalgar Township and the city of Oakville, Ontario. The collection will grow as we have time to collect and prepare the images.
The TTHS is also sending the images to the Town of Oakville Heritage Planners to increase local availability and to ensure local preservation.
Each TTHS internet record will show the back of the identifying information card first. This is to prevent any errors in reading the handwritten address held up on a clipboard for each address - we have noted that sometimes the address number is illegible or incorrect.
At the top of each TTHS record, you will find "pages" to click on to view the contact sheet side of the blue index card and three of the photographs.
- Coding on the front of the card: 2600280
Province is 06, Negative is 002002. NPC 464(9-701)7530-21-029-3938
- Date Of Event
- August 1972
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4520104496439 Longitude: -79.674272558136
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- 280 Lawson Street, Oakville, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1972
- Acknowledgement to the work of Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972, Trafalgar Township and Oakville, and of the Trafalgar Township Historical Society is required.
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton