113 Ninth Line, Oakville, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1972
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Ninth Line below Upper Middle Road was renamed Ford Drive, in honour of the Ford Motor Company manufacturing plant that came to Trafalgar Township in the 1950's. An article in the Daily Journal Record, August 14, 1963 p.1, has the title "Ford gets road move Ninth Line" which indicates how the plant changed local roads. Looking at road maps today, we can see Ford Drive no longer follows the original surveyed straight Ninth Line to Lake Ontario, but curves around the Ford plant property.
113 Ninth Line is today, 113 Maple Grove Drive, closer to Lakeshore Road. It is good to have these photographs taken in 1971 of the old farmhouse as it is now gone.
Parks Canada reported that the present owners were Mr. and Mrs. Hams. The original owner of the property was named "Walbrooke". The house was estimated to have been built in 1865. The blue index card identifies the building type as Gothic Revival.
A search of the "Halton Images" internet collection shows that in 1925, J. Walbrook was a Councillor of Trafalgar Township. In 1930, he ran as a Progressive in an election.
Going back further, Robert Walbrooks appears in the 1823 and 1825 Trafalgar Land Assessment records transcribed by Fred Blair, also to be found in the Halton Images internet collection. The 1823 listing is: Robert Walbrooks (Concession) 8 west half (Lot) 4, 1 acre cultivated, 199 uncultivated.
- In 1971-1972, Parks Canada photographed those buildings that were 100 or more years old. This Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings was a Centennial Project.
The Trafalgar Township Historical Society has worked with Parks Canada and Library and Archives Canada to find these photographs in the area of Trafalgar Township and the city of Oakville, Ontario. The collection will grow as we have time to collect and prepare the images.
The TTHS is also sending the images to the Town of Oakville Heritage Planners to increase local availability and to ensure local preservation.
Each TTHS internet record will show the back of the identifying information card first. This is to prevent any errors in reading the handwritten address held up on a clipboard for each address - we have noted that sometimes the address number is illegible or incorrect.
At the top of each TTHS record, you will find "pages" to click on to view the various photographs.
All TTHS records in this collection can be found in one step by clicking on the "Groups" link on the right of your screen, "Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972. Trafalgar Township & Oakville."
- Coding on the front of the card: 06177003000113. Province is 06, Negative is 002y15. Handwriting notes that 3rd image is the house front, and that the front door is the image with the screen door open followed by 3 photographs of sections of the front door. NPC 464(9-701)7530-21-029-3938
On the blue card back with ownership information, the code is repeated: 0617700300113.
- Date Of Event
- December 21, 1971
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4762125915028 Longitude: -79.6365499705506
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- 113 Ninth Line, Oakville, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1972
- Acknowledgement to the work of Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972, Trafalgar Township and Oakville, and of the Trafalgar Township Historical Society is required.
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton