2495 Bronte Road, Oakville, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1971
- Media Type
- Item Type
- 2495 Bronte Road is in 2020, 2495 Old Bronte Road. The house was the surgery and residence of Dr. Anson Buck and his family. Dr. Buck and his family were a prominent family in Palermo and Trafalgar Township. The Trafalgar Township Historical Society has a number of internet records with more information about Dr. Buck, his very interesting family, and their contributions to Trafalgar Township life.
As taken from the 1994 letter to Conservation Review Board, "The two storey, red brick house, constructed in the 1860's in an "L" plan, is described as a good exampleof vernacular building with stylistic Italianate and Ontario Gothic influences. It has centre gables at thefront and rear, bay windows with stone sills and lintels, and wide overhanging eaves. Decorative paired brackets adorn the eaves, and there are circular roof vents in the gables."
6 photographs of the house are included in this record.
The house was sold out of the family in 1924.
The 2011 Cultural Heritage Assessment Report for the house is no longer available on the internet. Linked here is the December 2011 Town of Oakville Report for your further information about the changes in Second Line aka Bronte Road aka Highway 25 aka Regional Road 25 and the historic Palermo buildings including this house. See pages 19 and 20.
- In December 1971, January 1972, Parks Canada photographed those buildings that were 100 or more years old. This Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings was a Centennial Project.
The Trafalgar Township Historical Society has worked with Parks Canada and Library and Archives Canada to find these photographs in the area of Trafalgar Township and the city of Oakville, Ontario. The collection will grow as we have time to collect and prepare the images.
The TTHS is also sending the images to the Town of Oakville Heritage Planners to increase local availability and to ensure local preservation.
Each TTHS internet record will show the back of the identifying information card first. This is to prevent any errors in reading the handwritten address held up on a clipboard for each address - we have noted that sometimes the address number is illegible or incorrect.
At the top of each TTHS record, you will find "pages" to click on to view the various photographs.
All TTHS records in this collection can be found in one step by clicking on the "Groups" link on the right of your screen, "Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972. Trafalgar Township & Oakville."
- Owner at the time of photographing was Mr. Ed. Wells. The house was estimated to have been built in 1860.
Coding on the front of the card: 06177002202495.
Codes on the back of the index card (image #2) show that the province code is 061. The geo code is 770022. The CIHB code is 0008402495.
- Date Of Event
- December 31, 1971
- Personal Name(s)
- Dr. Anson Buck, 1833-1919. Keturah Adelaide (Howell) Buck, d.May 3, 1906.
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4349176422413 Longitude: -79.7750711062622
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- 2495 Bronte Road, Oakville, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 19
- Acknowledgement to the work of Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972, Trafalgar Township and Oakville, and of the Trafalgar Township Historical Society is required.
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:email@example.com
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton