1959 Oakville Day Camp Journal of Group Leader Janet Lees
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Account books
- Reproduced here are two of the daily log pages showing the activities of Janet's group for the day as well as two pages of games that the group leaders could use. To view all the pages, click on "Pages" "Select". The daily log was so neatly typed after the camp day ended.
Today, we would prefer to revise the games described to be safer and to eliminate racial bias but people in the 1950's and 1960's often played "Red Rover" and other attack and defending games, reflecting attitudes of the time in their naming and premise.
This group log is an example of the materials used by the young people who were the day camp leaders for the Oakville Recreation Commission summer day camps in the years 1957 to 1959. The collection also includes photographs taken of children and leaders at the day camp in August 1959, and of the leaders during their week of training at the old YMCA camp at Fisher's Glen on Lake Erie.
To see all the records, click on "Oakville Recreation Commission Day Camps" under "Groups of Related Records".
Former group leader Janet (Lees) Timbrell also donated her "Swimming Programme" manual from the Oakville Recreation Commission, and her copy of the "Playground Activities; Sports and Active Games" and "Notes on Day Camping" manual by the Community Programmes Branch of the Ontario Department of Education, c1951. Only the "Notes on Day Camping" manual has been made into a digital record - see it in the collection "Oakville recreation Commission Day Camps".
All the manuals are available in the print "Oakville Day Camp" collection kept in the TTHS archives at the old one-room schoolhouse, 2431 Dundas Street West, Oakville (at Palermo or Bronte Road and Dundas West).
- Date Of Event
- Summer 1959
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4755003685224 Longitude: -79.7980873547363
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- 1959 Oakville Day Camp Journal of Group Leader Janet Lees
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:email@example.com
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton