234 Lakeshore Road East, Oakville, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1972
- Media Type
- Item Type
- When photographed in 1972 for the Parks Canada project, the building owner was Mr. Vet. He lived onsite. The original owners named were Duncan Chisholm and Captain Wm Wilson. The actual date of the building construction is written as 1855-0000A.
This building is Registered but Not Designated on the Town of Oakville Register of Properties of Cultural Heritage Value or Interest.
The Oakville Historical Society has several records pertaining to this address and the people who owned the building. Click on the link under the blue index card to view different photographs and information.
Briefly, Captain William Wilson built the store in 1855 and it was first owned by John McCorkindale who had a hardware store there for many years. James Kelley opened Kelley's Hardware store on the premises in 1878. Son John and son-in-law, James MacGregor, continued the business. The different store names can be seen in the Oakville Historical Society pictures.
- From December 1971 into 1972, Parks Canada photographed those buildings that were 100 or more years old. This Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings was a Centennial Project.
From 2018 into 2021, the Trafalgar Township Historical Society worked with Parks Canada and Library and Archives Canada to collect these photographs for the area of Trafalgar Township and Oakville, Ontario.
The TTHS has shared the images with the Town of Oakville Heritage Planners to increase local availability and to ensure local preservation.
Each TTHS internet record will show the back of the identifying information card first. This is to prevent any errors in reading the handwritten address held up on a clipboard for each address - we have noted that sometimes the address number is illegible or incorrect.
At the top of each TTHS record, you will find "pages" to click on to view the various photographs.
All records in this collection can be found in one step by clicking on the "Groups" link on the right of your screen, "Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972. Trafalgar Township & Oakville."
- Coding on the front of the card: 06177000200234. Code on the back of the index card: 0600ZDD14 ; 0600ZDD28. The CIHB code is 000990.
A large billboard rises up along the west side of the building, which is a storey taller than the next store. It is advertising Kellogg's Cornflakes with a large cereal box.
Over the awning of 234 Lakeshore Road is painted "Violet Flower Shop". Next door to the west at 232 Lakeshore East, the awning reads, "Swiss Canadian Bakery 845-4191"."
- Date Of Event
- August 1972
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4462933428803 Longitude: -79.6674490184022
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- 234 Lakeshore Road East, Oakville, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1972
- Acknowledgement to the work of Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972, Trafalgar Township and Oakville, and of the Trafalgar Township Historical Society is required.
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton