240 Lakeshore Road East, Oakville, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1972
- Media Type
- Item Type
- When Parks Canada photographed 240 Lakeshore Road East in 1972, R. Traifoyos owned the building. It is on the southwest corner of Dunn Street facing on to Lakeshore Road in downtown Oakville, Ontario.
The tenant Weston Cooper was at the storefront facing on to Dunn Street, 96 Dunn In the front of the building at 240 Lakeshore Rd. E. was White Oak Take Out.
The original owner or tenant was named as Duncan Chisholm (tinsmith). Kelley Furniture is also listed in this section of the blue index card.
The stamp on the blue card shows year of actual construction was 1850-0000.
This building is Registered but not Designated on the Town of Oakville Register of Properties of Cultural Heritage Value or Interest.
According to this Register, this commercial building was built about 1856 and housed Peter Kelley's Furniture store.
Information from the Oakville Historical Society, linked under the blue index card for your access, notes that it was built by Duncan Chisholm in 1856. The address was originally 100 Colborne Street, then changed to 240 Colborne, and then in 1965, Colborne Street was renamed Lakeshore Road retaining the same street number.
- From December 1971 into 1972, Parks Canada photographed those buildings that were 100 or more years old. This Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings was a Centennial Project.
From 2018 into 2021, the Trafalgar Township Historical Society worked with Parks Canada and Library and Archives Canada to collect these photographs for the area of Trafalgar Township and Oakville, Ontario.
The TTHS has shared the images with the Town of Oakville Heritage Planners to increase local availability and to ensure local preservation.
Each TTHS internet record will show the back of the identifying information card first. This is to prevent any errors in reading the handwritten address held up on a clipboard for each address - we have noted that sometimes the address number is illegible or incorrect.
At the top of each TTHS record, you will find "pages" to click on to view the various photographs.
All records in this collection can be found in one step by clicking on the "Groups" link on the right of your screen, "Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972. Trafalgar Township & Oakville."
- Coding on the front of the card: 0617700200240. Code on the back of the index card: 0600ZDD Roll 4 Team 1. The CIHB code is 00390.
The side of the building has a Josef of Rome sign posted (a hair salon).
- Date Of Event
- July 1972
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4463400789137 Longitude: -79.6673202723694
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- 240 Lakeshore Road East, Oakville, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1972
- Acknowledgement to the work of Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972, Trafalgar Township and Oakville, and of the Trafalgar Township Historical Society is required.
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:email@example.com
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton