235 Trafalgar Road, Oakville, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1972
- Media Type
- Item Type
- At the time of photographing, Parks Canada recorded that owners were Mr. & Mrs. Chisholm. They noted that the first owner was John Potter Melancthon Simpson and it had been built in about 1835.
247 Trafalgar Road is Designated under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act. The legal description is LT1, Blk 44, PL 1.
As per the Designation, it was built c.1839, builder unknown. It was bought by Melancthon Simpson in 1846. Melancthon and his brother John were area ship builders, working between 1849 and 1864. The house is described as the earliest known example of an Regency cottage in the area. The hip roof is a medium pitch, there are symmetrical bays on the front facade. The front verandah is decorated with finely crated treillage. The main entrance is accentuated by the entablature above the opening and the flanking sidelights.
More information can be found on the linked Oakville Historical Society website; click on their link under the blue index card image on the right.
- From December 1971 into 1972, Parks Canada photographed those buildings that were 100 or more years old. This Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings was a Centennial Project.
From 2018 into 2021, the Trafalgar Township Historical Society worked with Parks Canada and Library and Archives Canada to collect these photographs for the area of Trafalgar Township and Oakville, Ontario.
The TTHS has shared the images with the Town of Oakville Heritage Planners to increase local availability and to ensure local preservation.
Each TTHS internet record will show the back of the identifying information card first. This is to prevent any errors in reading the handwritten address held up on a clipboard for each address - we have noted that sometimes the address number is illegible or incorrect.
At the top of each TTHS record, you will find "pages" to click on to view the various photographs.
All records in this collection can be found in one step by clicking on the "Groups" link on the right of your screen, "Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972. Trafalgar Township & Oakville."
- Coding on the front of the card: 06177004700235. Code on the back of the index card: 0600ZDD Roll 1 Team 1. The CIHB code is 00390.
- Date Of Event
- March 1972
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4504838636646 Longitude: -79.6716976374817
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- 235 Trafalgar Road, Oakville, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1972
- Acknowledgement to the work of Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972, Trafalgar Township and Oakville, and of the Trafalgar Township Historical Society is required.
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:email@example.com
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton