241 Trafalgar Road, Oakville, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1972
- Media Type
- Item Type
- When Parks Canada photographed in 1972, the owner was G.B. Gunn. The house was identified as "Potter's Folly", the original builder had been John Potter, built in 1869.
The home is a Designated Heritage Property under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act. Plan 1 BLK 44 LOT 3 PT LOT 5 is the legal description.
According to the Register, it was built by John Potter in about 1870. He was a shipwright, carpenter for William Chisholm and according to the Oakville Historical Society, John Potter lived there until his death in 1908. It was rented to the Presbyterian Congregation for use as a manse, they bought it in 1881. It was sold to William Robert Adamson in 1927. It is described as "Italianate Villa style house with central third storey lower and ornate detailing. Notable features include richly detailed cornice and roof brackets, classical window and door crowns, 6/6 double hung windows and original shutters.
A link to the Oakville Historical Society's information about the house and residents is below the blue index card image on the right.
- In December 1971, January 1972, Parks Canada photographed those buildings that were 100 or more years old. This Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings was a Centennial Project.
The Trafalgar Township Historical Society has worked with Parks Canada and Library and Archives Canada to find these photographs in the area of Trafalgar Township and the city of Oakville, Ontario. The collection will grow as we have time to collect and prepare the images.
The TTHS is also sending the images to the Town of Oakville Heritage Planners to increase local availability and to ensure local preservation.
Each TTHS internet record will show the back of the identifying information card first. This is to prevent any errors in reading the handwritten address held up on a clipboard for each address - we have noted that sometimes the address number is illegible or incorrect.
At the top of each TTHS record, you will find "pages" to click on to view the various photographs.
All TTHS records in this collection can be found in one step by clicking on the "Groups" link on the right of your screen, "Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972. Trafalgar Township & Oakville."
- Coding on the front of the card: 06177004700241. Code on the back of the index card: 060ZDD15. The CIHB code is 00390.
- Date Of Event
- May 1972
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4506084843726 Longitude: -79.6713543147278
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- 241 Trafalgar Road, Oakville, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1972
- Acknowledgement to the work of Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972, Trafalgar Township and Oakville, and of the Trafalgar Township Historical Society is required.
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton