247 Trafalgar Road, Oakville, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1972
- Media Type
- Item Type
- At the time of photographing, Parks Canada recorded that Mr. Hedleigh owned the home. It had been built about 1870 and that Molly Monean had been the original owner.
247 Trafalgar Road is Designated undeer Part V of the Ontario Heritage Act. The legal description is LT7, Blk 44, PL 1 ; PT LT 5, BLK 44, PL 1 AS IN 796557.
As per The Town of Oakville Register of Designated Properties, the original house on the land was built in 1839 by John Porquin. In 1869, Molly Minhear rebuilt the house, "resulting in the existing structure" which is described as "Gothic Revival 1 1/2 storey stucco house with round headed windows, decorative bargeboard and finial in gables, large front verandah."
The Oakville Historical Society has also identified the original builder and resident of the house as John Porquin. He worked as a millwright. A link to their internet record with a 1991 photo of the house is provided under the image of the blue card to the right here.
- In December 1971, January 1972, Parks Canada photographed those buildings that were 100 or more years old. This Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings was a Centennial Project.
The Trafalgar Township Historical Society has worked with Parks Canada and Library and Archives Canada to find these photographs in the area of Trafalgar Township and the city of Oakville, Ontario. The collection will grow as we have time to collect and prepare the images.
The TTHS is also sending the images to the Town of Oakville Heritage Planners to increase local availability and to ensure local preservation.
Each TTHS internet record will show the back of the identifying information card first. This is to prevent any errors in reading the handwritten address held up on a clipboard for each address - we have noted that sometimes the address number is illegible or incorrect.
At the top of each TTHS record, you will find "pages" to click on to view the various photographs.
All TTHS records in this collection can be found in one step by clicking on the "Groups" link on the right of your screen, "Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972. Trafalgar Township & Oakville."
- Coding on the front of the card: 06177004700247. Code on the back of the index card: 060ZDD157. The CIHB code is 00390. The Parks Canada "year of construction" stamp has 1840-0000 written in.
- Date of Original
- June 1972
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4506084843726 Longitude: -79.6721697062684
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- 247 Trafalgar Road, Oakville, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1972
- Acknowledgement to the work of Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972, Trafalgar Township and Oakville, and of the Trafalgar Township Historical Society is required.
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton