264-6 Lakeshore Road East, Oakville, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1972
- Media Type
- Item Type
- The building housed the street addresses 264 Lakeshore Road and 266 Lakeshore Road East when photographed in 1972.
At time of photographing, it was owned by Mr. Meadows and was home to Ramsey Drugs. The original builder was Justus Wright Williams, estimated to have been built in 1864 by Parks Canada.
The building is on the Town of Oakville Register of Properties of Cultural Heritage Value or Interest but Not Designated.
The Oakville Historical Society has information about Justus W. Williams, the Williams family as well as information about this building on its website, OakvilleHistoryPastPerfectOnline.com. Their information dates the start of J.W. Williams' general store on Colborne Street (later Lakeshore Road) to 1833.
Unfortunately, two of the Parks Canada photos are very dark so computer "lightening" has had to be employed. But there is a good "street view" along Lakeshore Road to the intersection with Trafalgar Road.
- In December 1971, January 1972, Parks Canada photographed those buildings that were 100 or more years old. This Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings was a Centennial Project.
The Trafalgar Township Historical Society has worked with Parks Canada and Library and Archives Canada to find these photographs in the area of Trafalgar Township and the city of Oakville, Ontario. The collection will grow as we have time to collect and prepare the images.
The TTHS is also sending the images to the Town of Oakville Heritage Planners to increase local availability and to ensure local preservation.
Each TTHS internet record will show the back of the identifying information card first. This is to prevent any errors in reading the handwritten address held up on a clipboard for each address - we have noted that sometimes the address number is illegible or incorrect.
At the top of each TTHS record, you will find "pages" to click on to view the various photographs.
All TTHS records in this collection can be found in one step by clicking on the "Groups" link on the right of your screen, "Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972. Trafalgar Township & Oakville."
- Coding on the front of the card: 06177000200264. A stamp has been put on the card: Year of construction: 1830-Codes on the back of the index card: 060ZDD28. The CIHB code is 00390.
- Date Of Event
- August 12, 1972
- Personal Name(s)
- Justus Wright Williams, 1798-1875.
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4469320655444 Longitude: -79.6666550845337
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- 264-6 Lakeshore Road East, Oakville, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1972
- Acknowledgement to the work of Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972, Trafalgar Township and Oakville, and of the Trafalgar Township Historical Society is required.
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:email@example.com
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton