410 Lakeshore Road East, Oakville, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1972
- Media Type
- Item Type
- There are 5 photographs of the house plus a view of the street in this record, in addition to the front and verso of the blue index card.
This farmhouse was designated pursuant to S.29(6)a of the Ontario Heritage Act. PLAN 19 PTLOT 3 R 20R748 PAR.T4
The Parks Canada index card shows that in 1972, the tenants were Mr. and Mrs. Saunders. The owner was Mrs. Perrinchief who lived at "The Studio" on Second Street, Oakville. Mr. Griggs is named as the builder of the house in about 1863.
The Town of Oakville Designation information says that the house "is reputed to be built by George Griggs in 1850. Thompson Smith, owner of a planing mill in Oakville, remodelled and enlarged the house in 1863." The back portion of the house which is now 88 Second Street was later used by Dr. D.D. Wright who owned the property at a later date.
The house is described in the Designation as a "2-storey stucco house with gable roof. Architectural details include projecting eaves, mouled soffit, plain frieze, projecting verges, 12/12 windows and entranceway with entablture supported by squared columns."
A link to information posted by the Oakville Historical Society about George Griggs and the house is in this record, under the blue index card image on the right.
- In December 1971, January 1972, Parks Canada photographed those buildings that were 100 or more years old. This Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings was a Centennial Project.
The Trafalgar Township Historical Society has worked with Parks Canada and Library and Archives Canada to find these photographs in the area of Trafalgar Township and the city of Oakville, Ontario. The collection will grow as we have time to collect and prepare the images.
The TTHS is also sending the images to the Town of Oakville Heritage Planners to increase local availability and to ensure local preservation.
Each TTHS internet record will show the back of the identifying information card first. This is to prevent any errors in reading the handwritten address held up on a clipboard for each address - we have noted that sometimes the address number is illegible or incorrect.
At the top of each TTHS record, you will find "pages" to "select" to view the various photographs.
All TTHS records in this collection can be found in one step by clicking on the "Groups" link on the right of your screen, "Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972. Trafalgar Township & Oakville."
- Coding on the front of the card: 0617700200410.
On the card verso: the province is 06 and the negative code is 0zDD34.
- Date Of Event
- March 1972
- Personal Name(s)
- George Griggs
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4473682625124 Longitude: -79.6665048808289
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- 410 Lakeshore Road East, Oakville, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1972
- Acknowledgement to the work of Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972, Trafalgar Township and Oakville, and of the Trafalgar Township Historical Society is required.
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton