1054 Third Line, Oakville, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1972
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Today (2021) this address is now 2031 North Service Road West. Pt Lt 25, Con 2 Trafalar SDS, as in 328312 except PE93 & PTS 1,2, 2OR7101; Oakville/Trafalgar.
There are 5 photographs of the house in this record, in addition to the front and verso of the blue index card. Parks Canada noted the house was estimated to have been built in 1845.
This farmhouse was designated pursuant to S.29(6)a of the Ontario Heritage Act in 1994. It was built about 1858 by the Hilton family who had a "prosperous fruit farming operation and one of the largest orchards in the Township" (Trafalgar Township).
In the designation information, the house is described as rubble stonework using colourful local fieldstone, which is unusual for the area. There are stone lintels over the windows and upper floor door. There are rusticated stone quoins on the corners and projecting central bay.
A link to the Laurie Smith Heritage Consulting Inventory Report for 2031 North Service Road West is included for your further information.
- In December 1971, January 1972, Parks Canada photographed those buildings that were 100 or more years old. This Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings was a Centennial Project.
The Trafalgar Township Historical Society has worked with Parks Canada and Library and Archives Canada to find these photographs in the area of Trafalgar Township and the city of Oakville, Ontario. The collection will grow as we have time to collect and prepare the images.
The TTHS is also sending the images to the Town of Oakville Heritage Planners to increase local availability and to ensure local preservation.
Each TTHS internet record will show the back of the identifying information card first. This is to prevent any errors in reading the handwritten address held up on a clipboard for each address - we have noted that sometimes the address number is illegible or incorrect.
At the top of each TTHS record, you will find "pages" to "select" to view the various photographs.
All TTHS records in this collection can be found in one step by clicking on the "Groups" link on the right of your screen, "Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972. Trafalgar Township & Oakville."
- Coding on the front of the card: 06177004501045.
On the card verso: the province is 06 and the negative code is 00zy25.
- Date Of Event
- January 4, 1972
- Personal Name(s)
- Charles and Rebecca Hilton.
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- 1054 Third Line, Oakville, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1972
- Acknowledgement to the work of Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972, Trafalgar Township and Oakville, and of the Trafalgar Township Historical Society is required.
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton