1069 Lakeshore Road East, Oakville, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1971
- Media Type
- Item Type
- When photographed by Parks Canada, the owner was "Ms. Hamilton". Parks Canada estimated the large house had been built in 1855.
A 1955 newspaper note, linked to this record for your further information, is about a tea room that the owner, Mrs. Hamilton wanted to operate at the address.
The last photo included in this record has a sign outside, "Rooms", which correlates to an internet blog by the granddaughter of Ms. Hamilton; she took in boarders.
According to the granddaughter, Mrs. Marie Agnes Hamilton died on June 18, 1973 in Bend, Oregon. Husband William had died 30 years prior. The property had been called "Avalon Villa". William Hamilton had been a boarder at the estate when he met his wife. They married in 1953.
Apparently, the Richard Burton film, "Equus" was filmed in 1976 at here as well as other area locations.
The property was subdivided in about 2006/7.
- In December 1971, January 1972, Parks Canada photographed those buildings that were 100 or more years old. This Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings was a Centennial Project.
The Trafalgar Township Historical Society has worked with Parks Canada and Library and Archives Canada to find these photographs in the area of Trafalgar Township and the city of Oakville, Ontario. The collection will grow as we have time to collect and prepare the images.
The TTHS is also sending the images to the Town of Oakville Heritage Planners to increase local availability and to ensure local preservation.
Each TTHS internet record will show the back of the identifying information card first. This is to prevent any errors in reading the handwritten address held up on a clipboard for each address - we have noted that sometimes the address number is illegible or incorrect.
At the top of each TTHS record, you will find "pages" to click on to view the various photographs.
All TTHS records in this collection can be found in one step by clicking on the "Groups" link on the right of your screen, "Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972. Trafalgar Township & Oakville."
- Coding on the front of the card: 06177000201069.
On the card verso: the province is 06 and the negative code is 0zy14.
- Date Of Event
- December 20. 1971
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4560915413139 Longitude: -79.6573102683259
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- 1069 Lakeshore Road East, Oakville, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1971
- Acknowledgement to the work of Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972, Trafalgar Township and Oakville, and of the Trafalgar Township Historical Society is required.
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton