1409 Lakeshore Road East, Oakville, Ontario. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1971
- Media Type
- Item Type
- 1409 Lakeshore Road East in Oakville was the estate of the Cox family. The estate was built by Herbert Coplain Cox who was (as his father, George A. Cox had been) President of the Canada Life Assurance Company in Toronto.
We have a number of other records in our internet collection that talk about the stables on the Cox estate, and the men and families associated with them. To find these, search "Moulding" - it was Jack Moulding (John Thomas) who came from England at the request of Herbert Cox to establish and manage the stable. Mr. Moulding had been with Kenneth Marlatt of Oakville and the 4th Canadian Mounted Rifles in the first World War. Also, look for our photographs and information on Mr. Marlatt.
1409 Lakeshore East is at the corner of the present day Cox Drive and Lakeshore Road, a few blocks east of Gairloch Gardens.
The blue index card information recorded by Parks Canada at the time of photographing the house, shows that Mrs. Cox was owner and living there. The house was estimated to have been built in about 1850 but other sources show it was built in 1910.
Click on "Pages" "Select" above, under the record title, to view the photographs.
- In 1971-1972, Parks Canada photographed those buildings that were 100 or more years old. This Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings was a Centennial Project.
The Trafalgar Township Historical Society has worked with Parks Canada and Library and Archives Canada to find these photographs in the area of Trafalgar Township and the city of Oakville, Ontario. The collection will grow as we have time to collect and prepare the images.
The TTHS has sent the images to the Town of Oakville Heritage Planners to increase local availability and to ensure local preservation.
Each TTHS internet record will show the back of the identifying information card first. This is to prevent any errors in reading the handwritten address held up on a clipboard for each address - we have noted that sometimes the address number is illegible or incorrect.
All TTHS records in this collection can be found in one step by clicking on the "Groups" link on the right of your screen, "Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972. Trafalgar Township & Oakville."
- Coding on the front of the card: 06177000201409. Province is 06, Negative is 0ZY14. NPC 464(9-701)7530-21-029-3938.
On the blue card back with ownership information, the code is repeated: 06177000201409.
- Date Of Event
- December 21, 1971
- Personal Name(s)
- Herbert Coplain Cox
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4651211458977 Longitude: -79.6471554249955
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- 1409 Lakeshore Road East, Oakville, Ontario. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1971
- Acknowledgement to the work of Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972, Trafalgar Township and Oakville, and of the Trafalgar Township Historical Society is required.
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:email@example.com
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton