232 Lakeshore Road East, Oakville, Ontario. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1972
- Media Type
- Item Type
- At the time of photographing, the building was home to "Canadian Bakery". Mr. & Mrs. Streit were recorded as owners. The building was estimated to have been built in 1870.
The photographs show written on the awning over the storefront, "232" "Canadian Bakery" "845-4191". The last picture shows the street with the London Life building and cars of the era.
An ad in the June 12, 1974 Oakville Beaver is for the Swiss Canadian Bakery and Pastry Shop - click on the link under the blue card image in this record to see this ad at the bottom of the newspaper page.
This ad identifies Mr. and Mrs. Streit as Fred and Lisa.
In the 1988 Bowers Street Directory, this store houses the Swiss Canadian Pastry Shop and Cafe.
In January 2021, the store is a women's clothing store, "She Is".
Click on "Pages" "Select" above, under the record title, to view the photographs.
- In 1971-1972, Parks Canada photographed those buildings that were 100 or more years old. This Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings was a Centennial Project.
The Trafalgar Township Historical Society has worked with Parks Canada and Library and Archives Canada to find these photographs in the area of Trafalgar Township and the city of Oakville, Ontario. The collection will grow as we have time to collect and prepare the images.
The TTHS has sent the images to the Town of Oakville Heritage Planners to increase local availability and to ensure local preservation.
Each TTHS internet record will show the back of the identifying information card first. This is to prevent any errors in reading the handwritten address held up on a clipboard for each address - we have noted that sometimes the address number is illegible or incorrect.
All TTHS records in this collection can be found in one step by clicking on the "Groups" link on the right of your screen, "Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972. Trafalgar Township & Oakville."
- Coding on the front of the card: 06177000200232. Province is 06, Negative is 0ZDD Team 1 Roll (of film) 4. NPC 464(9-701)7530-21-029-3938.
On the blue card back with ownership information, the code is repeated: 06177000200232,
- Date Of Event
- August 12, 1972
- Personal Name(s)
- Lisa and Fred Streit
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4465270226861 Longitude: -79.6675777644349
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- 232 Lakeshore Road East, Oakville, Ontario. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1972
- Acknowledgement to the work of Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972, Trafalgar Township and Oakville, and of the Trafalgar Township Historical Society is required.
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton