457 Ninth Line, Oakville, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1971
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Ninth Line below Upper Middle Road was renamed Ford Drive, in honour of the Ford Motor Company manufacturing plant that came to Trafalgar Township in the 1950's. An article in the Daily Journal Record, August 14, 1963 p.1, has the title "Ford gets road move Ninth Line" which indicates how the plant changed local roads. Looking at road maps today, we can see Ford Drive no longer follows the original surveyed straight Ninth Line to Lake Ontario, but curves around the Ford plant property.
Today, 457 Ninth Line is 457 Maple Grove Drive.
When Parks Canada photographed it in 1971, the owners were Mr. and Mrs. R.L. Hooey and the name of the house was "Hill Top House". The original owner was James Wesley Hill, and the house was estimated to have been built in 1865. The house is described as being "gothic revival".
James Wesley Hill was a slave who escaped into Canada in a packing case. In addition to making his life and raising his family in the Oakville/Trafalgar Township area, he personally made trips guiding others fleeing slavery along the Underground Railroad into Canada. In Montgomery County, Maryland he is remembered as "Canada Jim". He owned this property, a strawberry farm. His story by "Oakville Images" is linked to this record for your further information.
- In 1971-1972, Parks Canada photographed those buildings that were 100 or more years old. This Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings was a Centennial Project.
The Trafalgar Township Historical Society has worked with Parks Canada and Library and Archives Canada to find these photographs in the area of Trafalgar Township and the city of Oakville, Ontario. The collection will grow as we have time to collect and prepare the images.
The TTHS is also sending the images to the Town of Oakville Heritage Planners to increase local availability and to ensure local preservation.
Each TTHS internet record will show the back of the identifying information card first. This is to prevent any errors in reading the handwritten address held up on a clipboard for each address - we have noted that sometimes the address number is illegible or incorrect.
At the top of each TTHS record, you will find "pages" to click on to view the various photographs.
All TTHS records in this collection can be found in one step by clicking on the "Groups" link on the right of your screen, "Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972. Trafalgar Township & Oakville."
- Coding on the front of the card: 06177003000457. Province is 06, Negative is 002y17. NPC 464(9-701)7530-21-029-3938
On the blue card back with ownership information, the code is repeated: 06177003000457.
- Date Of Event
- December 23, 1971
- Personal Name(s)
- James W. Hill married Adeline Shipley in 1859, in Maryland. In 1871, James was 44 years old, Adeline was 34. Their children were Ruth E. (11 years old), Edward (9), Emily (7), Albert (6) & Frances (Frank) age 5.
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- 457 Ninth Line, Oakville, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1971
- Acknowledgement to the work of Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972, Trafalgar Township and Oakville, and of the Trafalgar Township Historical Society is required.
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:email@example.com
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton