275 Macdonald Road, Oakville, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1972
- Media Type
- Item Type
- 275 Macdonald Road is part of the "Old Oakville" Town of Oakville Register of Designated Properties...Trafalgar Road Heritage Conservation District. It is located on PT Lot 5, BLK C, PL 35 as in 639022.
The Heritage Register estimates that the saltbox frame cottage was built in 1899.
The Parks Canada index card identifies the August 1972 owner as Mr. Strimas. The original owner surname was Williamson and Parks Canada says the house was built in 1856.
John Strimas was editor of the local, daily newspaper The Oakville Journal Record. (This newspaper had previously been named The Oakville Record Star.) In 1962, the paper was sold to the Toronto Star. Strimas went on to become a vice-president of Northern Telecom. Newspaper issues can be found in the Halinet newspaper collection, linked in this record.
- In 1971-1972, Parks Canada photographed those buildings that were 100 or more years old. This Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings was a Centennial Project.
The Trafalgar Township Historical Society has worked with Parks Canada and Library and Archives Canada to find these photographs in the area of Trafalgar Township and the city of Oakville, Ontario. The collection will grow as we have time to collect and prepare the images.
The TTHS is also sending the images to the Town of Oakville Heritage Planners to increase local availability and to ensure local preservation.
Each TTHS internet record will show the back of the identifying information card first. This is to prevent any errors in reading the handwritten address held up on a clipboard for each address - we have noted that sometimes the address number is illegible or incorrect.
At the top of each TTHS record, you will find "pages" to click on to view the contact sheet side of the blue index card and three of the photographs.
- Coding on the front of the card: 06177002700275. Province is 06, Negative is 02002. NPC 464(9-701)7530-21-029-3938
- Date Of Event
- August 1972
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4530073829537 Longitude: -79.6766329020691
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- 275 Macdonald Road, Oakville, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1972
- Acknowledgement to the work of Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972, Trafalgar Township and Oakville, and of the Trafalgar Township Historical Society is required.
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:email@example.com
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton