Palermo Public School, 1967-1968 Grade 8
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Canada's Centennial year graduating class with teacher, Mr. Ross Wark at Palermo Public School.
There was a school in Palermo as early as 1819. It was one of 3 public schools in Trafalgar Twp. The first school building may have been on the same property as the ones built in 1844, 1875 & 1942 or it may have been across the road near the cemetery.
The first school was built in 1844. A new school was built in 1875. In 1942, the Wendover construction company started work on the present building which is now the home of the Trafalgar Township Historical Society at 2431 Dundas Street, Oakville, Ontario. This new 1942 building contains the date stone of the old. We have many photographs of the students, teachers and new building in our digital collection for your further information, but linked here is the record with a number of photographs of the demolition and construction of the 1879 and 1942 buildings.
In 1955 a new Palermo Public School was built south of Dundas Street in order to consolidate and accommodate children from a larger catchment area. Marg Wark was the last teacher at S.S. #2 in 1955 because the new school wasn’t ready on time and the students were taught in the Palermo hall, at St. Luke's Anglican church & the old Palermo school until the new building with many classrooms was completed.
- 1867 Centennial 1967 ; Palermo Public School Grades 7&8 Room 1
- Personal Name(s)
- Front Row, Right to Left: Gary Laurence, Harry Wilson, Kim Bailey, Murray Lawrence, Steven Braemers. 2nd Row, Right to Left: Linda Jarvey, Sheila Mitchell, Bill Eakins, Donna Minne, Mark, Barnie, Lee Britain, Judy Brumarma, Howard Gill. 3rd Row, Right to Left: Jimmy Patterson, Cathy, Pat Harris, Janice Wright, Menke Brumarma, Fern Laurence, Sandra Minne, Wendy Pell, Jim. Back Row, Right to Left: Mr. Wark, Dell Minne, Paul Rumford, Charles Lawrence, Daird Pell, bill, Allan Huffman, Richard Hayward, Wayne Yorenger, Maurice Curtia, Robert Van Diken, Jimmy Grain, Mr. Reynolds. Absent: Donna Wesse, Patricia, Wendover.
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.43341 Longitude: -79.78293
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Palermo Public School, 1967-1968 Grade 8
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton