Threshing at Glenclare Farm
- Media Type
- Item Type
- There is no date on this family photograph but it was likely taken around 1910. A consulted expert has provided this date because, he explains, the silo in the background required mechanized equipment to get the grain into it. This photograph is showing new technology for both the silo and the thresher. (In another note, he mentioned that earlier threshing machines were made of wood.) In his wife's newspaper death notice, it is mentioned that Michael Bigger was an agricultural implement agent.
Michael L. Bigger is listed on the 1859 Tremaine Map of Halton County as owning the property, Lot 15, Concession 2 NDS Trafalgar Township, running north from Burnhamthorpe Road on the east side of 6th Line. Theirs was a mixed farm operation.
- Personal Name(s)
- Michael Lafey Bigger, b.January 27, 1825 d.December 10, 1921, married Belinda (Cronkrite) Bigger, b.1834 d.December 31, 1898. Their children were James William Bigger, d.December 10, 1921 and Albert Anson Bigger, b.November 13, 1856, d.June 24, 1938. Albert married Henrietta (called Hettie) Almira (Munn) Bigger, b.October 26, 1860, d. November 26, 1962. Children of Hettie and Albert were: Clara A. Bigger, b.February 13, 1884, d.1978 ; William James, b.July 26, 1886 ; Wilbert Henry, b.May 6, 1887. Wilbert married Mary Ethel Conover, b.1888 d.1949. Wilbert and Mary Ethel's children were Harold C., 1917-2004, Clare O. Bigger, 1937-1945, Lois, 1919-1997, Russell and (twins) Martha and Kathryn.
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.47955 Longitude: -79.72902
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Threshing at Glenclare Faarm
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton