R.D. Fleming Barn Raising 1939
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Family and friends who worked to build a barn for Robert Devant Fleming. The family was connected by marriage to the Munns among others.
The Fleming family farmed at Munn's Corners, Lot 15 Concession 1 SDS, at Dundas and 6th Line for over 100 years. A link to the newspaper notice for the sale of the farm in 1954 is added to this record for your information.
One of the Biggar family has written some names on the back of this photo. You can see these in the second image in this record. My interpretation of this guide: the man wearing the dark suit on our left is "Grandpa Conover". The tall man kneeling over to our right is Bertland Conover. Mr. Fairbairn is the man standing further to our right, behind Wilbert Biggar, Mr. Fairbairn is wearing his hat. Wilbert Biggar is sitting cross-legged in the front row on our right, wearing suspenders.
"Grandpa Conover" was Russell Conover.
- The father of R.D. Fleming, Alex Fleming had married Millie Munn. They lived with Millie's father (King Henry Munn) on the Munn family farm and raised their family there. They also owned land on Lot 14 1 SDS and Lot 15 1 NDS.
This Munn farm was later owned by the Hays family.
The street address was 32 Dundas Street East.
- Date Of Event
- Personal Name(s)
- Robert D. Fleming was the son of Robert Alexander (1849-1919) and Millicent (Munn) Fleming (1853-1928. William Russell Conover, called Russell, was born on December 15, 1851 in Trafalgar Township. He died in 1940 as per his gravestone in the Erindale Cosmopolitan Cemetery in Mississauga. He and Charlotte McGowan married on January 13, 1886. Wilbert Henry Bigger, b.May 6, 1887 d.June 13, 1960. ; Wilbert married Mary Ethel Conover, b.1888 d.1949. Austin Bertland Conover, called Bertland, b.1891 d.1964.
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.47955 Longitude: -79.72902
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- R.D. Fleming Barn Raising 1939
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton