Clara Biggar with Her Grandpa, Michael Biggar
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Clara and her Grandfather, Michael L. Biggar, standing in front of the lovely home her parents built on the Glenclare Farm in 1898.
Clara Biggar trained and worked as a nurse.
Albert, son of Michael and Belinda, and his wife, Hetty, built the lovely house shown in this record in 1898.
Michael L. Bigger is listed on the 1859 Tremaine Map of Halton County as owning the property, Lot 15, Concession 2 NDS Trafalgar Township, running north from Burnhamthorpe Road on the east side of 6th Line. As well as establishing and growing the Glenclare Farm, he served as Deputy Reeve - Oakville on the Halton County Council in 1890-1891.
Michael was born in Stony Creek. The family had come north from the United States as so many did, through the Niagara area. His father was Richard Lanning Bigger, b. March 6, 1801 in Trafalgar Township, ON. He married Esther Lafey on October 2, 1823 in Ontario, Canada. After her death he married Mary Hunter. He died on January 9, 1879 in Trafalgar, with the cause of death "Insanity about 5 years". He is buried in Omagh Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Trafalgar Township.
Esther Lafey was born on June 22, 1804 in Saltfleet, Wentworth County, Ontario. She died on April 23, 1828 and is buried in Fifty Cemetery, Grimsby, Ontario.
The baby daughter of Richard and Esther died the year she was born, in 1828, living only from February to April. Michael's older brother, James Pettit Bigger, was born on June 30, 1824 in Saltfleet, Ontario. He married Priscilla Pettit Clement on February 27, 1849 in Trafalgar and their older children were born in Trafalgar Township. He died on July 14, 1905 in Jarvis, Walpole Township, Ontario.
- Personal Name(s)
- Clara Alberta Biggar, b.February 13, 1884, d.1976. Clara's brothers were William James, b.July 26, 1886. Wilbert Henry, b.May 6, 1887. Their parents were Albert Anson Bigger, b.November 13, 1856, d.June 24, 1938 who married Henrietta (called Hettie) Almira (Munn) Bigger, b.October 26, 1860, d. November 26, 1962. The parents of Albert were Michael Lafey Bigger, b.January 27, 1825 d.December 10, 1921, married Belinda (Cronkrite) Bigger, b.1834 d.December 31, 1898. Albert's brother was James William Bigger, d.December 10, 1921.
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.47955 Longitude: -79.72902
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Clara Biggar with Her Grandpa, Michael Biggar
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:email@example.com
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton