Allan Cullingworth, Artist and Cartoonist, Born in Trafalgar Township
- Allan Joyce Cullingworth, Artist
- Media Type
- Item Type
- The main image in this record is a page from the autograph book of Mary Powell, drawn by her uncle, Allan Cullingworth. Mary trained at Normal School and worked as a teacher, starting in the late 1930's in Brantford, in the one-room school at Rockton, then to Peterborough, Ontario schools. Of course, she was no "crab apple" but caring, compassionate, conscientious and imaginative.
Her mother's brother, Allan, was born in Trafalgar Township on the farm of Jemima Biggar which was managed by his father and mother, on the north side of Dundas east of the Sixteen Mile Creek.
As these cartoons and illustrations show, he worked on the employee magazine of the Amalgamated Electric Company in Toronto as well as delighting family members with his fun and cartoons.
The birthday card was drawn for Mary's mother, Ruth (Cullingworth) Powell, to give to her daughter.
- The autograph book: An apple for the Teacher, 'Tis said, the pupils bring, And for your type, A little ripe, Crab apple is the thing. A. Cullingworth 1939.
Amal News Cover: Vol. 5. No. 7 July, 1947 Amalgamated News A/E Corp'n Ltd. Mud Lake Camp, 7 miles.
WWII Victory Garden Cartoons: Putting Victory First "Now Where'll I Plant Me Corn". Victory Gardens Reported Promising. Christmas Morning. Puzzledome. Put Victory First. Bonds. Freedom. Security. Happiness. Peace.
Birthday Card: I sentence you to one year unrestricted happiness.
- Personal Name(s)
- Allan Joyce Cullingworth, b.April 22, 1901 d.March 10, 1961. Joseph Edward Cullingworth, b.April 29, 1843 d.March 29, 1916). Mary Ann (Joyce) Cullingworth, b.March 11, 1863 d.March 14, 1932. Their children were Allan, Clare Edward, 1897-1933, Ruth Irene, 1898-1971 - the mother of Mary. Their oldest son was George Richard, 1894-1961. Their youngest child was Hazel Vera, 1903-1971.
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.43341 Longitude: -79.66631
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Holder Contact Information
- Recommended Citation
- Allan Cullingworth, Artist and Cartoonist
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton