Men of Cox Stables
- Media Type
- Item Type
- John Thomas, called Jack, Moulding, was a highly respected stable manager and horseman. In 1910, he was asked by Herbert Cox, a Canadian financier with a great interest and love of horses, to come from England to look after the family hunters, polo ponies, riding and carriage horses with stables, polo field and riding arena on the Cox estate in along the Lakeshore Highway in Oakville.
This photograph of the men of the Oaks estate stable was taken sometime between 1910 and the outbreak of The Great War (World War 1).
Jack is the man wearing the "Christie hat" as described by his daughter Joan, (a bowler-type hat made for equestrians by the Christie Hat Co., Barnsley, England).
Jack's daughter,Joan, recalls the Oaks family residence was on the north side of the Lakeshore Highway with the stables and other activity areas where south of the road. Today, we can still see some of the high rough cast walls that once bordered the property along each side of the Lakeshore Highway, east of Gairloch Gardens.
- The Cox estate was built by Herbert Coplain Cox and it is believed Herbert and Jack met in England. The residence was built in 1910. Herbert Cox was a leading Canadian financier, President of the Canada Life Assurance Company (his father, George A. Cox, had also held this position). After 1924, Herbert Cox was in Canada at the estate only during the summer.
A link to the photograph of the estate house, and our record of the several photographs of the building taken in 1971 for a Parks Canada project, is below the photograph in this record for your further information.
- Personal Name(s)
- John Thomas Moulding, called Jack.
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4473682625124 Longitude: -79.6665048808289
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Men of Cox Stables
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:email@example.com
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton