2488 Old Bronte Road Architectural Detail
- Media Type
- Item Type
- This photograph is of the outstanding craftsmanship on a door of the house formerly at 2488 Old Bronte Road. The house was built ca1822 in Trafalgar Township. Unfortunately, in 2007 it was deemed to be in such an unsafe state of disrepair that it was removed from the Town of Oakville's Register of Properties of Cultural Heritage Value & Interest (Not Designated). Before demolition, the owner was asked to have an expert historical record of the property made, to have an archeological site assessment during the demolition, and to salvage all saveable historic material. The house was sited just south of Dundas Street, just east of Regional Road 25 on Old Bronte Road.
The house and property were of historic interest because it was built by Benjamin Smith who was a carriage maker in Palermo. His business was one of the largest in the village. It was the property of the Palermo blacksmith, W.T. Bartman, in the mid-twentieth century.
A link to photographs of the old house at 2488 Old Bronte Road is included here for your further information. These photographs were taken in 1971 by Parks Canada as part of a centennial project to photograph all buildings 100 years or more in age.
- Place of Publication
- Oakville, Ontario
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 637px
Image Height: 480px
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4321970401079 Longitude: -79.7728824237061
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- 2488 Old Bronte Road Architectural Detail
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton