Jim Babinetz and Janet Lees
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Jim Babinetz and Janet Lees photographed by the Oakville newspaper after Jim was allowed to have a new medical exam after initially being dropped from Lakeshore Teachers college.
The link on the right below the photograph and above the map, is to a Toronto Star photograph by Frank Teskey, now in "Getty Images", showing Jim being welcomed back. "CANADA - DECEMBER 04: Most popular student - bar none - Jim Babinetz is welcomed back to Lakeshore Teachers college by pretty classmates.... Cathy Story Marie McBride, Joan Heslip, Marilyn MacGregor and Jane Tilley greet him." Ross Wark was also a
In 2017, a former student wrote to tell us "I am very glad that he became a teacher. Mr. Babinetz was my grade 7 and 8 teacher at New Central School in the mid 1970s. He believed in me, which in turn made me believe in myself. Something I really needed at that stage in my life. Thank you Mr. Babinetz." Jim also taught at Gladys Speers P.S.
- Jim and Janet worked for several summers in 1957-1959 as a leader at the Oakville Recreation Commission Pine Ridge Day Camp program on the Rotary camp site on Lower Base Line (which separates Oakville and Milton ). A secondary site was located in Henderson Park on the Sixteen Mile Creek (a short walk down hill from the Rotary site.)
The teenaged Oakville camp leaders were trained at Fisher’s Glen Leadership camp in Norfolk County on Lake Erie. The 1958 Leadership Training camp ran for one week in late June to early July. Specific dates for 1959 were June 25-July 1.
Along with Ross Wark, other leaders in 1957-1959 were Heather Alberty, Gaye Anderson, Dale Arms, Jim Babinetz, Bob Ballantyne, Marion Bigger, Billy Lyn Boyle, Ann Burrel, Lil Berry, Cam Burns, Howard Corke, Graham Corke, Ann Couchnie, Kay Craig, Sheena Craig, Marie Cross, Barbara Day, Murray Dolman, Bob Elstone, Barb Hall, Ena Hendrie, Pat Hesler, Nancy Hill, Sue Hudson, Janet Lees, Herb Milnes, Gord, McNair, Janet Perkins, Kay Perkins, Helen Phetteplace, Heather Rammy, Peg Reckie, Carol Redshaw, Joan Rummery, Bob Sones was Assistant camp director in 1959, Wendy Squires, Michael Tipping, Peter Wakely, Madeleine Werner, Pam Whiting, Bill Young. (This list may be incomplete.)
Jack Ross, Oakville Director of Recreation and camp director during this time period, also attended these leader training camps.
- Date of Original
- Personal Name(s)
- Janet Lees ; James Babinetz
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4473682625124 Longitude: -79.6665048808289
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:email@example.com
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton