Anna Catherine (Smith) Pickett
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Anna Catherine (Smith) Pickett, aged about 70 so circa 1880.
Anna Catherine Smith, oldest daughter of Absalom Smith and Anna Mary (Beamer) Smith of Palermo, Trafalgar Township, married Thomas Ebenezer Pickett, son of the circuit rider, Reverend Daniel Pickett and his wife, Elizabeth Franks Ingersoll, sister of Laura Secord, on October 30, 1833 in Palermo. They lived in Lowville, the Reverend Daniel Pickett and family having settled there in 1820. Anna and Thomas had 9 children.
- It isn't possible to directly link to the article, "Lowville - A Rich History" by Jennifer Enright, Tackaberry Times, December 2003 but you can find the article by typing- "Jennifer Enright" Lowville -in Google.
The photo in the Tackaberry Times article by Jennifer Enright is of the Pickett Octagon house in Lowville. The house was built around 1850 by Daniel and Andrew Pickett, sons of Thomas Ebenezer Pickett and Anna Catherine (Smith) Pickett. Andrew Pickett also built the Lowville store. Andrew moved to the United States and his grandson, Harry Hopkins, was private advisor to Franklin D. Roosevelt. In the Tackaberry times article the house is called the 'round house' - that was the name of a B&B located in the house for a very short time.
- Personal Name(s)
- Anna Catherine (Smith) Pickett, b. October 8 1810 in Palermo, oldest daughter of Absalom and Polly Smith, d. December 9, 1899 in Nelson. Absalom Smith, b. February 3, 1788, d. February 5, 1861, aged 73. Anna Mary (Beamer) Smith, called Polly, b. January 13, 1785 d. August 31, 1870 in Palermo. Thomas Ebenezer Pickett, b. August 11 1808. Reverend Daniel Pickett, b. 1774 in New Milford, Connecticut, one of the earliest settlers who arrived in 1822. Elizabeth Franz Ingersoll, sister of Laura Secord.
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.43151 Longitude: -79.90434
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Anna Catherine (Smith) Pickett
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:email@example.com
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton