Steam Driven Tractor Loaded with Logs, Algoma District, circa 1915
- Mystery Question
- Do you know what this tractor was called?[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- Media Type
- Item Type
- This is a black and white photo of a steam driven tractor pulling a series of loaded logging skids. The tractor is a Lombard Steam Log Hauler.
- The Lombard Steam Log Hauler as it was officially known looked and operated much like a small steam locomotive. It had an engineer and fireman that maintained the boiler pressure and controlled the speed of the engine, but was steered by a man sitting in front of the boiler. The Pine Lumber Co. of Devon (near Chapleau) c1917, was one of the few Ontario locations where a Lombard was known to have been used. The proprietors of the Devon mill were from the Lotbiniere area of Quebec and Lombards were produced in Maine.
- Date of Original
- Circa 1915
- Local History
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 46.25006 Longitude: -83.5666
- Creative Commons licence
- [more details]
- Copyright Statement
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
- Thessalon Union Public LibraryEmail:email@example.com
Agency street/mail address:
187 Main St. Box 549
Thessalon, ON P0R 1L0