Rosenberg Family Quilt, Circa 1903
- Media Type
- This quilt is done on a white background and has a green pointed oval and coloured triangle design throughout. The upper right corner has a number of names stitched in red, there is a circle with the names being stitched outwards.
This quilt was quilted by Mrs. Charles Rosenberg, Mary (Murphy) Rosenberg. The family remembers it was customary then to embroider friends' names on the quilt.
The quilt was passed on to Mrs. Rosenberg's daughter Alice (Rosenberg) Nicholson, Barber. The quilt was then passed to her granddaughter Thora Evelyn (Nicholson) Reeves. The family is proud of the quilt and want it preserved as part of the pioneer handicrafts of the area.
- Charles Rosenberg (b. 1853, d. 1899) and his wife the former Mary Murphy (b. 1855, d. 1926) moved from Lowell Michigan to Sowerby, Ontario circa 1884. They began a farm on Little Basswood Lake.
The Rosenberg's raised four children: William Rosenberg (b.1877, d. 1946), James Rosenberg (b. 1880, d. 1926), Ruby (Rosenberg) McCullough (b. 1887, d. 1924), and Alice Agnes (Rosenberg) Nicholson, Barber (b. July 5, 1891, d. Sept. 1, 1981).
The original Rosenberg farm is still owned by a Rosenberg, Charles Rosenberg's great, great grandson David Rosenberg.
- The names embroidered on the quilt are:
D. Gilles, A. Taylor, Mrs. R. Swinn, Mrs. B. J. Birnie, Wm. J. McKinley, Mrs. J. Dobie, W. McEwen, H. Hagen, A. Grigg, Miss J. McCauley, King Edward VII, mrs. J. G. Pulford, J.G. Pulford, R. King, N. Dobie, W. J. Whiteley, Adm'r'l G. Dewey, Mr. J. Robinson, Mrs. S. L. Smith, Mr. R. Pipe, Mr. D. Tait, Neil Currie, Jas. E. Gorrell, J.B. Dobie & Co., Mrs. D. McLennen, D. McLennen.
- Date of Original
- circa 1903
- Local identifier
- Artifact Collection
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 46.28336 Longitude: -83.23318
- The quilt was donated by Thora (Nicholson) Reeves to the Iron Bridge Museum in July 1984 in memory of her grandmother Mary (Murphy) Rosenberg and her mother Alice (Rosenberg) Nicholson, Barber.
- Huron Shores MuseumEmail:email@example.com
Agency street/mail address:
1 James St. P.O. Box 460
Iron Bridge, ON P0R 1H0