The Church of the Redeemer, Thessalon, 1912
- Media Type
- Item Type
- This is a black and white photo of a construction crew working on the foundations for the Anglican Church of the Redeemer in 1912.
Five men stand in the foreground in front of a wooden footings form,all wearing work clothes. Several people including children are watching the workmen.
- Shown are Herb Allen, R. Bailey-Contractor, Fred Jones, Walter Tullock, Eliza Allen - Reverend Tate - (Architect.)
Land for the first Anglican Church was purchased on October 16, 1890 on the north side of Algoma St. E. A small church was built on that site.
A new property was purchased in January 1912 on Main Street East, where the old church building was then moved to. The building was cut in half and rebuilt with additional pieces put in between. A new lantern tower was added and the old tower with the pinnacle was rebuilt. The official opening of the new church took place on November 28, 1912.
Reverend Tate officiated at this Church until he retired in 1929.
- Date of Original
- Circa 1912
- Local History
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 46.25006 Longitude: -83.5666
- Creative Commons licence
- [more details]
- Copyright Statement
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
- Thessalon Union Public LibraryEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Agency street/mail address:
187 Main St. Box 549
Thessalon, ON P0R 1L0