1913 Convention of the Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Central Canada
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Black and white postcard of 23 delegates attending the fifth annual convention of Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Central Canada in 1913. The convention was held at Holy Trinity Lutheran Church in Humberstone, Ontario. The men are posed outdoors. Seated, left to right: W.H. Knauff, W.H.C. Laurer, L.M. McCreery, M.J. Bieber, H. Cronmiller, Jacob Maurer, C.A. Dennig, P.C. Wike, J.J. Clemens. Standing: Jesse I. Casselman, J. Arnt Loa, E.A. Bartmann, Peter McIntosh, J.A. Miller, Nils Willison, W.C. Miller, R.R. Durst, Leon Irschick, Elza Barkley, F.H. Zingg, C. Lossing, J.C. Casselmann, C.H. White.
- Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada is one of five synods of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada, consisting of more than 200 member congregations and 78,000 baptized members. The territory of the Eastern Synod runs from Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario to Halifax, Nova Scotia.
In July 1861 the Canada Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Canada was organized by the former Canadian Conference of the Pittsburgh Synod. In 1867 the Canada Synod helped organize the General Council. In 1908 the Central Canada Synod organized as a result of English activity of the General Council. In 1918 both synods became part of the United Lutheran Church in America. In 1925 the Canada Synod and the Central Canada Synod merged, retaining the name Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Canada. In 1962 the Canada Synod reorganized as the Eastern Canada Synod of the Lutheran Church in America, comprised of the provinces of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, Quebec and most of Ontario. In 1985 the Eastern Canada Synod withdrew from the Lutheran Church in America to join with the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Canada to form the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada. In 1986 the new church began to function officially, retaining its membership in the Lutheran Council in Canada.
- Reverse, in ink: Convention of the Central Canada Synod / 1st row / Knauff / #4 Bieber / Cronmiller / Maurer / Back row: / #5 Miller / Willison / Miller / Gus Hesler / *illegible* / #3 last - delegate from / First English
- Date of Original
- May 1913
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 14cm
Image Height: 8cm
- Local identifier
- Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada fonds
- Copyright Statement
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
- Recommended Citation
- Wilfrid Laurier University Archives & Special Collections
- Reproduction Notes
- S100 Disc6
- Wilfrid Laurier University LibraryEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Agency street/mail address:
75 University Avenue West, Waterloo, ON Canada N2L 3C5