Lutheran pastors inside church
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Group photograph of sixteen clergymen gathered inside a church. Left to right, front row: Unknown; A. R. Schultz; Unknown; U. Berner; Unknown; Unknown; C. C. F. Maas. Back row: Unknown (seated); B. Mueller; E. Genzmer (left hand on altar); Unknown; Unknown (centre, standing behind altar); J. Strempfer; C. F. Spring (right hand on altar); Unknown; E. Neudoerffer (seated).
- Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada is one of five synods of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada, consisting of more than 200 member congregations and 78,000 baptized members. The territory of the Eastern Synod runs from Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario to Halifax, Nova Scotia.
In July 1861 the Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Canada (Canada Synod) was organized by the former Canadian Conference of the Pittsburgh Synod. In 1867 the Canada Synod helped organize the General Council. In 1908 the Central Canada Synod organized as a result of English activity of the General Council. In 1918 both synods became part of the United Lutheran Church in America. In 1925 the Canada Synod and the Central Canada Synod merged, retaining the name Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Canada (Canada Synod). In 1962 the Canada Synod reorganized as the Eastern Canada Synod of the Lutheran Church in America, comprised of the provinces of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, Quebec and most of Ontario. In 1985 the Eastern Canada Synod withdrew from the Lutheran Church in America to join with the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Canada to form the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada. In 1986 the new church began to function officially, retaining its membership in the Lutheran Council in Canada.
- In ink: Mr. Kraft/ de Zoeher / Schultz / Petschke / Mueller / Kinnard / Genzmer / Berner / Broezing / Mr. H. Van der Smissen / Strempfer / Spring / Meinhold / Maas / Neudorffer / Littwien
Accompanying sheet, handwritten in ink: Picture from Dorothy Weigel - 1880's Synod? / Mr. Kraft / de Zoeher / Pastor A. R. Schultz / Pastor H. Petchke / Pastor B. Mueller / Pastor G. Kinnard / Pastor E. Genzmer / Pastor U. Berner / Pastor J. Broezing / Mr. H. Van der Smissen - Treasurer / Pastor J. Strempfer / Pastor C. F. Spring / Pastor E. Meinhold / Pastor C. C. F. Maas / Pastor E. Neudorffer / Pastor E. Littwien
- Date of Original
- ca. 1880
Width: 30 cm
Height: 25 cm
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 24.5cm
Image Height: 19cm
- Local identifier
- Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada Collection
- Copyright Statement
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
- Recommended Citation
- Wilfrid Laurier University Archives & Special Collections
- Reproduction Notes
- S100 Disc3
- Wilfrid Laurier University LibraryEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Agency street/mail address:
75 University Avenue West, Waterloo, ON Canada N2L 3C5