Fire at St. John's Lutheran Church, Waterloo, Ontario
- Kitchener-Waterloo Record, Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Black and white photograph of two firefighters battling the fire at St. John's Lutheran Church, located at King Street and Bridgeport Road in Waterloo, Ontario. They are using hoses to spray water on the fire.
- St. John's Lutheran Church (1837-2018) in Waterloo, Ontario was a member of the Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada. The congregation was formed in 1837, and a modest church was built in uptown Waterloo, at the modern-day intersection of King and Bridgeport Streets. The congregation eventually outgrew the building, and in 1883 a new church was constructed on the same plot of land. On October 31, 1959, a devastating fire destroyed the church. The congregation chose to rebuild at 22 Willow Street in Waterloo, and the new church was dedicated on October 14, 1962.
In 2018, St. John's Lutheran Church merged with St. Mark's Lutheran Church and Reformation Lutheran Church to form Trillium Lutheran Church, a worship community of the Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada. Trillium Lutheran Church is located in the former St. John’s Lutheran Church building at 22 Willow Street in Waterloo, Ontario.
- Photographer stamp, reverse: Kitchener-Waterloo Record / photograph
- Date of Original
- Oct. 31, 1959
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 17cm
Image Height: 21.5cm
- Local identifier
- St. John's Lutheran Church (Waterloo, ON) fonds
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4668 Longitude: -80.51639
- Copyright Statement
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
- Recommended Citation
- Wilfrid Laurier University Archives & Special Collections
- Reproduction Notes
- S100 Disc2 LSPH160
- Wilfrid Laurier University LibraryEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Agency street/mail address:
75 University Avenue West, Waterloo, ON Canada N2L 3C5