Five men standing in front of a building
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Black and white photograph of a group of 5 men gathered in front of a building. Left to right: John H. Reble; Unknown; Unknown; Unknown; Reuben Baetz.
- John H. Reble (1887-1975) was a Lutheran pastor who served as President of the Canada Synod from 1945 to 1953.
John Reble was born in Kropp, Germany on December 14, 1887. He was educated at Kropp Seminary, moved to Canada in 1909. Reble was ordained in Hamilton, Ontario in 1909.
Reble served as pastor of Denbigh-Raglan from 1909 to 1912, Linwood-Hessen from 1912-1925, and St. Paul in Hamilton from 1925-1945. He became the president of the Canadian Synod starting in 1925, and was elected as full-time president in 1945. Reble maintained this position until 1953 when he retired. Following retirement he continued to lead supply services in Walkerton, Arnprior, Kitchener, and Germany.
He married Gertrud Butze on May 26, 1909 at Arnpoir, Ontario. The couple had one daughter, Elsie, and four sons: Kurt, Otto, Eric and John.
Reble passed away on April 7, 1975 at 87 years old in his home in Kitchener, and a funeral service was held on April 10 at St. Peter’s Lutheran Church. His wife, Getrud, died on January 20, 1985.
- Handwritten, reverse: Rueben Baetz, extreme right.
- Date of Original
- Between 1945 and 1970
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 8.5cm
Image Height: 13.5cm
- Local identifier
- John H. Reble fonds
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4668 Longitude: -80.51639
- Copyright Statement
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
- Recommended Citation
- Five men standing in front of a building, S2078, File 4.8, John H. Reble fonds, Wilfrid Laurier University Archives & Special Collections, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.
- Wilfrid Laurier University LibraryEmail:email@example.com
Agency street/mail address:
75 University Avenue West, Waterloo, ON Canada N2L 3C5