Officers of Lutheran Church Women of Eastern Canada Synod
- Hayes Advertising, Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Black and white indoor photograph of three women standing side by side. They are officers of the Lutheran Church Women of Eastern Cananda Synod taking part in district assemblies. All the the women are wearing dresses and hats. Left to right: Edith MacIntosh, secretary; Ethel Schaus, President; Mrs. H.J. Bowes, treasurer.
- Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada is one of five synods of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada, consisting of more than 200 member congregations and 78,000 baptized members. The territory of the Eastern Synod runs from Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario to Halifax, Nova Scotia.
In July 1861 the Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Canada (Canada Synod) was organized by the former Canadian Conference of the Pittsburgh Synod. In 1867 the Canada Synod helped organize the General Council. In 1908 the Central Canada Synod organized as a result of English activity of the General Council. In 1918 both synods became part of the United Lutheran Church in America. In 1925 the Canada Synod and the Central Canada Synod merged, retaining the name Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Canada (Canada Synod). In 1962 the Canada Synod reorganized as the Eastern Canada Synod of the Lutheran Church in America, comprised of the provinces of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, Quebec and most of Ontario. In 1985 the Eastern Canada Synod withdrew from the Lutheran Church in America to join with the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Canada to form the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada. In 1986 the new church began to function officially, retaining its membership in the Lutheran Council in Canada.
- Photographer stamp, reverse: Photo by / Hayes / Advertising / Waterloo / neg. no.
Reverse, in ink: Mrs. H.J. Bowes, Treasurer, Mrs. Lloyd Schaus, President, Mrs. K.E. MacIntosh, Secretary, Officers of Synodical Unit, LCW of ECS.
- Date of Original
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 25cm
Image Height: 20.5cm
- Local identifier
- Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada Collection
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4668 Longitude: -80.51639
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Wilfrid Laurier University Archives & Special Collections
- Reproduction Notes
- S100 Disc2
- Wilfrid Laurier University LibraryEmail:email@example.com
Agency street/mail address:
75 University Avenue West, Waterloo, ON Canada N2L 3C5