Lutheran Church Women, Eastern Canada Synodical Unit
- Wamboldt - Waterfield Photography Limited, Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Black and white photograph of four women placing candles on the centennial cake at the Lutheran Church Women Atlantic District assembly meeting held in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. Left to right: Mrs. Merrill Ernst, Atlantic District chairman; Mrs. Francis Daehling, Board of Directors; Merle Knauff, Eastern synodical unit president; Mrs. Clyde Johnson, Our Saviour's congregational organization president. The cross and evergreen tree in the background symbolize the theme "The Church Grows".
- Appears in The Canada Lutheran, June-July 1967, page3.
Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada is one of five synods of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada, consisting of more than 200 member congregations and 78,000 baptized members. The territory of the Eastern Synod runs from Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario to Halifax, Nova Scotia.
In July 1861 the Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Canada (Canada Synod) was organized by the former Canadian Conference of the Pittsburgh Synod. In 1867 the Canada Synod helped organize the General Council. In 1908 the Central Canada Synod organized as a result of English activity of the General Council. In 1918 both synods became part of the United Lutheran Church in America. In 1925 the Canada Synod and the Central Canada Synod merged, retaining the name Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Canada (Canada Synod). In 1962 the Canada Synod reorganized as the Eastern Canada Synod of the Lutheran Church in America, comprised of the provinces of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, Quebec and most of Ontario. In 1985 the Eastern Canada Synod withdrew from the Lutheran Church in America to join with the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Canada to form the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada. In 1986 the new church began to function officially, retaining its membership in the Lutheran Council in Canada.
- Photographer stamp, reverse: Wamboldt - Waterfield / Photography / Limited / 2856 Gottingen St., Halifax, N.S. / Phone 423-7438, Area Code 902
- Date of Original
- May 17, 1967
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 20cm
Image Height: 17cm
- Local identifier
- Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada Collection
- Geographic Coverage
Nova Scotia, Canada
Latitude: 44.67134 Longitude: -63.57719
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Date
- Recommended Citation
- Wilfrid Laurier University Archives & Special Collections
- Reproduction Notes
- S100 Disc2
- Wilfrid Laurier University LibraryEmail:email@example.com
Agency street/mail address:
75 University Avenue West, Waterloo, ON Canada N2L 3C5